Friday, September 30, 2022

French Onion Happiness

(forgot to hit publish before going to bed last night) 

My blood sugar was decent last night before I went to bed, but I tested it this morning and it was 200. And it was high all day long. How? I slept. I didn't eat cake while sleeping. The only thing I didn't do was take a walk yesterday ... did that fuck up my blood sugar? I am so surprised by the numbers today. Before the cookie during office hours. 

Anyway. 

Tried to avoid the carbs all day except for the cookie. Last one out of the humongous batch Geoff and I made earlier this week. I really should have gone for a walk today but I had a long chat with C, who is in Switzerland (wooo!) and then my sister. We were catching up on the big hurricane Ian news across Florida. Thinking on the Naples waterfront still, and my cousin Deb just moved to Fort Myers so the family was concerned with catching up with her. And then it was dinner.

I made French Onion soup today. Labor intensive? Not really. Just something that requires patience. 

I had a half hour between meetings and sliced up the onions, threw them in butter, let them melt down for a half hour while I was in another meeting. I threw in a can of non-alcoholic beer instead of a big cup of red wine, a splash apple cider, a box of beef stock. 

Simmer simmer simmer. A full pot reduces to a half slowly and beautifully.

Once it was time for dinner, I toasted slices of french bread cut in rounds, topped with butter and a sprinkle of garlic. Then I put 3 slices of havarti on top of each of my little soup crocks that I love so much. And shit if that wasn't just better than the usual shredded gruyere cheese I usually like to use ... Havarti is so much less expensive. And it melted perfectly, bubbled over the edge, stuck to things. Very amazing. 

I'm only sad this made a yield of 4 bowls instead of like.... eleven. Look at that gorgeous cheese overflow onto the edges to the side of the crocks. Damn, son. Damn. 


digits

exercise: not again tonight!

blood glucose:
9am: 200 
5pm: 259
9pm: 207

food:
coffee, water; iced coffee
9:15am apple & peanut butter
10:15am a few slices of pepperoni
11:30: pbj sandwich on 647 bread
1:15pm: Metformin. 3 lettuce wraps with romaine, sliced roast beef, cream cheese; 1 2 good yogurt
3:15pm: chocolate chip cookie
5pm: metformin+jardiance
6pm: crock of french onion soup, 3 slices of havarti, 2 slices of french garlic toast on top 
7pm: several slices of snacky Edam cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment