Wednesday, February 15, 2023

"I work here now"

Doug was called for jury duty today. He has always said he'd love to serve. But. He once worked in law enforcement, and, he has a Master's degree. The law enforcement has automatically gotten him kicked out the door in the past. And the Master's degree...well.  His cousin is a lawyer and told him he'll never be picked for a jury because lawyer's see that and say "this person is too smart. We can't have them on the jury." 

I also pointed out that if you have any degree and you are being asked to sit on a "jury of your peers" for a 20yr old black man who did crime, you're not exactly their peer. That's not a jury of your peers. I think the concept of the jury of your peers part of things came around incredibly long ago when everyone wore white wigs, were farmers, and no women were allowed to think for themselves. 

He left around 7:30am, parking can be a challenge over there, and I told him that both times (so far) I've been called, the intake processing time takes a while. They are understaffed (who isn't), incredibly nice, but sometimes people come up to the counter to fight with the staff, cause they don't want to be there and don't know why they had to come blah blah blah. And they will let everyone know it. 

As the kids say, "Sir, this is an Arby's...

Move along and let the next person get checked in, and take your fight to someone who can help you she's just asking for ID. 

He called me around lunchtime. 

They seated him. 

He was shocked, and I was shocked. I'd half been expecting him to walk in the door at any moment, but. No. He said that the trial will go through "at least Friday." 

"I work here now," he said to me. 

He has to return at 7:45am tomorrow. Exciting. 

Whipped up the fastest dinner I could, to try and feed him, but he inhaled a bunch of snacks, drank a couple beers, and he is out cold on the couch. Doing Justice is exhausting. 







digits

exercise: 12/12 of the hours for 250 steps. lots of walking about internally. 

blood glucose:
8am: 209
6pm: 164
10pm: 184

food:
coffee, water
8:30am: protein shake
1pm: giant BLT salad. I made enough for both me and Doug. And ate it all because he isn't home. metformin.
6pm: 1 baked stuffed pepper w/chorizo, pepper & onion, shredded cheddar. Metformin+jardiance.
6:45pm: 4 oreo cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment