Saturday, February 25, 2023

The Go Places Do Things Catch Covid Kids

Well. I went to get bloodwork done Friday afternoon. I stopped to pick up some quick home covid tests. Handed one to Doug when I got home and said "please take this, I'd like to know." 

He made a face at me, he didn't want to take it. His attitude is "it doesn't matter if I know or don't know if I have covid. It changes nothing. If it's the flu, I ride it out. If it's covid, I ride it out."

Yeah, but it has an impact on Geoff. Geoff has to go to school in person and if he has to take time off for being sick, It could monkey wrench the path and the plan. We don't want the train to derail, like East Palestine, Ohio. Know what I mean. I want him to know, so he can talk to his instructors. If this should happen.

He can't miss lab, it is twice a week in person. Maybe he can listen to a recording of the lecture of the one class he has to go in person to (it's his favorite, Medical Ethics. He really is enjoying this class). 

I just don't want for him to have anything happen that is out of his control. What happened in October 2021 was in his control to some extent. But covid this close to the finish line. Jesus, no.

Eventually he took it. He's got the covid. 

"Well that explains everything." 

Super. Thank you for taking it. I'm so .... happy. 

Last night after dinner, I was in the kitchen loading the dishwasher and asked him if he could smell and taste. He said he's had no appetite but this morning he could taste his everything bagel "sort of alright." I asked him to open the trash and smell it (once again, full of some nasty things, I cleaned out the freezer and made it smelly). He couldn't smell a thing. 

"Please quickly close the lid and open the back door." 

Then I had him taste the super hot, spicy black bean salsa I'd put on top of my Geoff's Mexican Chicken. Nope. Nothing. 

He spent the evening on the couch, bundled up tight with a hoodie on and 2 blankets. I'm in a t-shirt and shorts. Technically, this is day 3 of him having it. He isn't sure when he caught it because he only goes into the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. 

I'm contact tracing in my head. 

  • Did he get exposed on Tuesday at work, and come down with it Wednesday?
  • Was it the week before at work?
  • Was it over the weekend, like on Saturday when we went to Target and went to Quench for a couple beers and snackies while being the Go Places Do Things Kids? 
  • Am I going to come down with it, because he's been breathing on me and touching all the things I touch?
  • Is Geoff going to come down with it?

To be honest, if I were to catch it, right now is the right time. Let's get it over with, right?  Before my trip to Florida on March 22nd. I can be sick, here at the house. I can work an hour, sleep for four. I can manage. My team can manage. 

Before I went to bed, I cleaned the kitchen with bleach spray. I wiped down everything he could have possibly touched: the handle to the fridge, the bathroom sink, every single doorknob in the house, the Roku and TV remotes. I wish I had Lysol spray because I'd spray the couch. 

This morning he said he felt a little better. Cold sweats and chills didn't visit him last night, and I'd kept the dog out of the bedroom so as not to bother him so he slept the whole way through the night. I brought him coffee and breakfast. 

"I kind of like this you bringing me everything and keeping me out of the kitchen thing. Maybe I'll be sick for a while..."

His sense of humor isn't failing, like the senses of taste and smell, I see. 


Congratulations, Doug! Ya pregna--- oh, no. No you are not.

digits

exercise: 11/12 of 250 steps. No dedicated 10

blood glucose:
10am: 160
4:30pm: 173
9:30pm: 143

food:
coffee, water
10:30am: 3 oatmeal craisin cookies
12: small bowl of mac&cheese w/hot and spicy bean dip. Metformin
5:30pm: 9 leftover buffalo wings w/bleu cheese
9:30pm: 3 oatmeal craisin cookies

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:18 AM

    Crikey. My vote was going to be "forever flu" which I had after COVID. -E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we were certain it was the flu, but... there is the ocular proof. He's getting better daily. which is nice!

      Delete