Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Stupid Things In My Day

 I logged into Blogger today to set up my post and saw this message inside the Admin. 

First. Whut? 

Second. Which post? There is no link to a post or indication of a post. The "Community Guidelines are basically unhelpful. So I have no idea what content I've published is inappropriate for the community. 

If I have offended thee, I am fully apologetic.  

We found out today that they are laying off 10% of our workforce. Freshly announced at noon today in our all staff meeting. I doubt I am in danger, but? You never know. I never dreamed they would close my office in Boston, and I'd have to relocate to keep my job. Long time readers (all three of you) will remember this from 2017. 

You never know what is going to happen. We won't know who is impacted until the end of March. 

In some ways, thank you? I mean, you gave us some lead time? A lot of people are brushing up the resumes and talking about looking for new jobs even before they know what is going to become of them. 

I had a call with a client today and my lovely coworker T came with me, and at the end, he said "they can't lay you off. No one can explain any of that as well as you did. You are so good at this." 

It made me cry a little because Yes. Yes I am so good at my job. And someone said "you relocated your whole family for this company." Yeah I did, but it's 5 years out and I'm not mad. I think about how good things are for us right now. Geoff will be graduating in May. Doug got a new job and is making more money than he ever imagined. He's worth even more. Trust me. And I'm making more money than I've ever made in my life. 

I'm hoping I'm not getting let go. 

I am just shy of 9 years here. Niiiinnnnnnne. Nine. Say it. I've never had a job for this long. I've either gotten laid off, or run screaming into the street to save my sanity, at jobs that were perfectly lovely. My sanity was more valuable than a job at the time. I also didn't think I'd leave here. I'm 56. I don't want to go looking for a new job, start over, begin again, for ... 6 to 10 years? someplace? 

I like my job. I love what I do. I'm not entirely happy with things, but honestly, this is a good fit. I'm in a good place. I'm doing good work. Everyone around me is doing good work. I do not want this to change. 

Several people asked in the Q&A if we could all take pay cuts or furloughs or both in order to save money. The projected deficit is 30-32 million dollars. We survived covid, we took austerity measures (that got reversed in 2022) in order to make it through. 

Someone in the hire ups chain said "we cannot ask the staff to do that for an indeterminate period of time." With Covid, we saw a light at the end of the tunnel. They just don't know when this is going to right itself.

Well friends, I for one am willing to take a 5% pay cut if it means a colleague who just bought a house isn't laid off. I'm willing to take a pay cut AND a furlough to protect a colleague who just adopted a baby.

Anyway. We won't know for weeks what happens. So I'm just wondering who it's gonna be. In the meantime, a good old friend is passing away ... she's in hospice care and she's just a little older than I am. That makes me sad. And another friend's mom found out she has stage 4 metastatic cancer on her esophagus and it has spread to her lymph nodes and liver. So she's going to fight. And I tell myself, it can always be worse.

Things are stupid, but they can be worse.



digits

exercise: 12/12 250 steps. No dedicated 10 and too cold for a pokemon stroll.

blood glucose:
8am: 162
4:30pm: 165
10pm: 145

food:
coffee, water
12: metformin, 3 pita toasts w/ hummus
5pm: apple
6pm: nachos: ground beef, over tostitos scoops with melted cheddar, avocado dip & sour cream
Wine. 🍷🍷🍷🍷

No comments:

Post a Comment