Tuesday, February 28, 2023

What's my next Eevolution?

I got to contribute a piece to an NPR story along with several of my coworkers about Pokémon on Pokémon day yesterday. If you would like to read, click here, go find me. I'm kind of proud to be included in this group of super smart, fun, talented, excellent people. I look at that list and beam with pride that I know them. 

The long and short of it is I wrote that Eevee is my favorite. 

Pretty much all (not all but pretty much) Pokémon evolve into more advanced versions, but Eevee has 8 versions. It starts out as "normal" and can go Water, Fire, Electric, Psychic, Dark, Grass, Fairy, and Ice.


Look how cute those lil babies are. I love them. 

The point of what I had to say in my write up is ... you get to change. You can change. Change sometimes happens, and you can decide what you're going to change into. Eevee evolves into different versions based on lots of different circumstances and different objects. Umbreon can only be evolved at night, that kind of thing. 

If you really want to fall down a rabbit hole, go read any online Pokémon wiki, and learn a lot. 

Different circumstances and events can turn you from your normal Eevee-ness to a different one. But imagine if you can go from one version, ie: Fire, to Fairy. Or you could go backwards and factory reset to normal, then find other circumstances to help you evolve into another version. 

I feel like I've been several different Eevee evolutions in my life already. I once read an article about how everyone has X amount of jobs in their lifetime. X I'm not sure how many would be, but I think it was like 7. Sort of like the Shakespeare's seven stages of man. Beyond things like baby, youth, young man, dotage & death. We all have a pretty definitive number of jobs that happen to us over the course of a lifetime. 

I could run down my list, look over my resumé, and count them. More than 7, I'm sure. Most of them are based in one specific kind of field - service. All of my jobs from working as a shift supervisor at a bakery to doing what I do today. Running the office and front of house at the cooking school, to the helpdesk at the college. It's all been service. 

In talking with a colleague today about the goings on, he asked what I would do if I lost my job next month and to be honest, I don't know. I can't think that far in advance? Where my mind is, I'm not losing my job but I'll lose essential humans on my team. And that's going to have an adverse impact on me, both work-wise and spirit-wise. I don't know if I even can keep doing what I'm doing. 

I was thinking, well, what else would I do? I remembered taking Geoff to his kindergarten one year, I was unemployed, not sure what was going on with my life. The kids at the school sat down with me as I sat down to help Geoff tie his shoes. I'll always remember, when you get down at that level, small children see you as a compatriot, an equal. I was surrounded. I blogged about that, it's a long entry (It was when I blogged a lot about random things over the course of a week, so Jess' MCAS test, ticks on the dog, etc.... all are covered in the entry). But being told I'd be a good teacher because I sat on the floor was a highlight. 

One kid told me I could be a "teacher mommy," and another told me I should be a fire fighter, and another said I could work "on a barn." Not, in a barn, or on a farm. On a barn. 

Water, Fire, Fairy, Teacher Mommy, Fire Fighter, Worker on a Barn. A lot to consider. All based in service.

I put the picture above, instead of down here, so buffering some space to the digits. 


 






digits

exercise: dedicated 10+2 (used a chunk of 11am time to pace/walk).
12/12 of 250 steps.

blood glucose:
9am: 181
4:30pm: 146
10:30pm: 211 (thanks, pasta!

food:
coffee, water
9:30am: baby bell cheese
11am: mcintosh apple+peanut butter
12:45: large bowl of left over salad from last night, mixed with a can of tuna, mayo, and 4 pieces of bacon; metformin
6:30pm: plate of pasta; meat sauce; garlic toast. metformin+jardiance
10:30pm: 2 baby bell cheeses

No comments:

Post a Comment