Saturday, September 02, 2023

Into the Summer's End for Jimmy Buffett

I am thinking right now about Mister James Buffett as he'd be called by MBMBaM's Justin McElroy. 

The fact that he passed away on September 1, the first "unofficial" day of fall, the last gasp of summer, well. How appropriate, really. Jimmy Buffett's legacy of the summer, sunshine, beaches, boats, cocktails and anthems will undeniably last forever.

I really love how everyone is dismissing summer now that it is September. I am hearing summer is over, it's the end of summer, no more summer. We're about to go into the hottest weather we've had this year in DC, but no. Flannel and pumpkin spice all over the place. I'm not in a hurry for the "BER" months as people are calling them, because that means the "Burrrrrr" months. 

Summer in the DC area really doesn't end until October, but we learned last year that resort towns act like it is over way before Columbus/Indigenous People's Day. Last year's trip to Chincoteague proved they roll up shop that weekend. It is the end. 

I did halloween barefoot and in shorts on more than one occasion here. It really is nice.

I'm still enjoying it not being winter. I mean, you all know how much I hate it being hot. But. It being summer means the chance of there being cool nights to enjoy at the end of a long hot day. Put the patio to use. Be outside. Enjoy. Today was one of those days. 

We didn't go anywhere, Doug hit the Farmer's Market and got a few peaches and a watermelon, and Cub Scout Popcorn. I didn't feel like going, due to being wiped the hell out from yesterday, and this morning I was dragging. I went to bed early, and managed to get up before 10 so I got the 9 am steps. That is usually not the case on weekends, if you follow the digits.

Between all the time I had away from here and the fact that it was super hot, I didn't get to Farmer Chris enough. I would like to suggest to Doug that next year we just don't put in veggies. Next summer will maybe/possibly be our last summer here (our lease is up in February 2025) and I don't know what things will have in store for us. For Geoff. I'd like to not have to feel guilty about not being a good steward. 

The front porch plants have done well, the petunias in the planter out back are super leggy and at the end of their run. I'm tempted to pull them out now but we'll keep them for a bit. The herbs got burned and dried out in July without daily watering, only the oregano is doing well. Our dill was used up really early but the little pot is there with the one gigantic stalk that was once covered. 

Next year, less oregano, more dill! 

It's labor day weekend, and we have a lot of stuff we need to do around the outside of the house, and 3 days in which to maybe make use of that time to do a thing or two. We have trees growing up in the middle of our rhododendrons and azaleas. The gutters are sprouting a forest. The weeds around the patio, and in between the bricks, well they are all back. The fence could use a weed whacking. And let's not mention what needs done inside the house. 

But. Nah, not today.

Doug was talking this morning with one of his former co-workers about getting together. She took a job in Charlottesville, working remotely mostly from her current residence in the Front Royal area. She may be relocating down there, maybe, so they want to have a fun hang out before she (maybe) goes away. We are headed to a brewery partway between us, but we may go to her house after, because she wants to show us her dogs, and her horses. Prepare for a million pictures maybe?

Also, for the record, honestly, I'd move to Charlottesville if I had the chance. It's the one place further south of here I'd consider going to. 

Hoping your end of summer vibes and plans are great this weekend. 








digits

exercise: 11/12 hours of 250 steps. Somehow missed 1pm. Not paying attention and goofing off on my phone

blood glucose:

9:30am: 178
5:30pm: 141
11pm: 175

food:

coffee, water
noon: tuna melt on a low carb fajita wrap (aka: Tuna Quesadilla I guess); metformin
6pm: 4 pieces of Crown friend chicken (pretty good, much better than popeyes or KFC!) and potato salad (homemade by me)
7pm: Metformin+Jardiance
7:30pm: many cubes of watermelon. Many, many, many.

no wine or anything today - just water. Mr. Buffett would have been disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment