Thursday, September 28, 2023

Just what I needed - Amythyst Kiah in Annapolis

In the midst of yesterday's maelstrom of anger and emotion, I was waiting for Sara to come get me so we could go to see Amythyst Kiah in Annapolis. She got me, we ran into NO traffic to speak of, which was a blessing, and we got to the venue in time for dinner. 

We haven't seen each other in a while and there was a lot to catch up on. Thankfully this little venue (Ram's Head On Stage) is a sit down place and they serve dinner/drinks. I thought we'd have to eat at the attached restaurant and rush, but we didn't have to. A smaller, limited menu compared to the restaurant but it was just right. Just what we needed.

The place was half empty, which to me was a little surprising and sad. When Sara bought the tickets, we weren't sure what the layout was, so we ended up to the side/back of the stage. Lucky for us, there were two tables right in front of the stage that people had bought tickets for, but they didn't show up. The waitress told us we could go sit there but if the people came, we'd have to move. 

We were okay with that. 

Amythyst Kiah is amazing. Everyone should go see her. The voice, guitar work, banjo. Hell the banjo.

I've got chills just thinking of her performance. She writes a lot of her own music, but also is part of Rhiannon Giddens' Our Native Daughters which focuses on the banjo and the reclamation of Appalachian folk music for the modern era. With new songs, old songs, and everything in between. I can't recommend their project and recordings more highly.

This is the third time I've seen her. First was with Guster in Maine at On The Ocean 2022, with the band. Then we saw her open for Josh Ritter in DC, solo.

If you are reading this - go to youtube and fall down the rabbit hole. 

Here's a taste: 


Cause I don't want a theocracy, or some idle ideology,
We're all made of stars from above.
I pledge allegiance to my soul, I follow where she needs to go,
I'm a pilgrim for the empire of love.

We had such a good time. We stayed up until after 1am chatting, catching up, and it was just a blessing. So nice. Today I got up on the earlier end of things, talked to Jess and Linda in the hotel lobby in my PJs with my starbucks coffee. 

As for yesterday's drama, I think we're postponing the funeral until the Spring. So now I have to cancel or reschedule the Air BnB to then, reschedule the bagpiper, Linda has to cancel the restaurant. Thankfully Jess didn't book the ferry yet. 

And to be bluntly honest, I don't think my mom is going to make it to the spring. I really don't. I'll be shocked. But. Sadly, she's not being cooperative with Linda, she's fighting about eating. She's just ... difficult. 

And I'm not sure what the weeks ahead hold. Anyway, here are some pictures of some joyous fun from last night. 

Honestly visit Amythyst's webpage and if she is coming near you (ie: Portsmouth NH for my Boston and NH area friends) I do recommend. 

It's like church. And you may need it. Lord knows I did.




digits

exercise 9/12 hours of 250 steps.  Missed 1pm because Sara and I were enjoying lunch. Missed finishing 4pm because Doug and I were talking about the funeral mess. Missed 8pm because I'm sitting on my ass here staring into space.

blood glucose:

8am: 206
xpm: n/a didn't take an afternoon reading
10pm: 168 

food:

coffee, water
1pm: metformin; fried green tomatoes caprese (2); fish & chips, 3 beautiful pieces of fried cod, some french fries, cole slaw; 2 beers
6:4pm: part of a salad w/ diced chicken - too much actual bleu cheese and too many cranberries
8pm: metformin+jardiance
8:30pm: chicken salad, slices of cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment