Friday, September 22, 2023

Thankful for Little Sisters Day

My sister has gone up to see Mom. She was planning a visit soon to go on up and help close some open circles and fill in some gaps. A neighbor of mom's called to let Lin know that mom fell, she happened to come over to check on her, and mom was on the floor in the living room between the couch and the coffee table, trying to get up. 

So the neighbor helped, and another friend had also stopped by to check on her, so they both spent time with her. 

She had a good cry. She deserves a good cry. 

Yesterday she had a doctor's appointment, and she's lost at least 5 pounds since July and weighs under 100 pounds. Her blood pressure is very low (90/52) and the doctor told her he thinks she is depressed. 

"I don't feel depressed." She told him. He said it's not a physical feeling. But you're depressed, so let's see if we can get you some help. Ordered a home health care aid to come take her blood pressure, make sure she's eating, etc.

Linda is going to follow up with the doctor, too. She also arranged for the "I've fallen and I can't get up" service that mom will need, that we should have set up already, but we were busy while we were there and exhausted after. They are coming to install on Tuesday while Lin is still there. 

I'm relieved she didn't break something, or bash her head on the coffee table. 

I feel badly - like, I feel I should go up, too. Looking at the calendar maybe I can go in a week? Linda is staying until next Friday. I could go up and then the following weekend we have the final stage of "goodbye dad fest" to go through, so we'll be with her then. Someone could in theory be with her through October 10th?

I think that the shine and attention of being the widow has worn off. No one is coming to visit, no one is spending time, she's alone and it is starting to all sink in now. This is real. The biggest life change she's had probably since well, she got married. Or had me.

To be determined, I guess. I just talked to Linda for an hour. Got all up to speed and know the haps. Doug's mom had a medical procedure today and his younger sister took her to the appointment. 

He said to me, "Thank God for our little sisters today." and I thought that was a wonderful sentiment. Indeed. Thank God for the little sisters.

Here's a picture of Pittsburgh and beer.

digits

exercise 11/12 hours of 250 steps.  Missed 10am because of a meeting

blood glucose:

9am: 161
5pm: 144
11pm: 150

food:

coffee, water
11am: Metformin
12:45pm: BLT salad with a lot of B
6pm: Cheesesteak with onion and mushroom via Geoff. Ate it on the bun with potato chips
white wine
7:30pm: Metformin+Jardiance
8:30pm: shelled peanuts



12:45pm: BLT salad (with an excessive amount of bacon because doug didn't want any); romaine, tomatoes, bacon, mayo
3pm: a couple handfuls of trail mix (contains raisins)





No comments:

Post a Comment