Thursday, September 14, 2023

Pooch Life

Phineas. Phinny. Phin. Phinzer Yinzer. Phinzies. Phinelope. Phinley. Phinner. Bean. Little Monster. 

Aside from Bean and Little Monster I probably won't be uttering those names again in my life. There are no other Phineases or Phins anywhere in my future. Only in my past. We will speak lovingly and adoringly of him, I'm sure. 

I said something this morning about how I dropped bacon on the floor and there was no little monster to clean up after me. Doug took offense at me calling him a little monster. "I have no regrets!" he says. "He was nothing but the best companion."

Yeah, except when always trying to kill me in the kitchen. Dude was a beast in the kitchen. I would lose my mind and yell at him. He was small enough that he'd sneak behind me, I'd turn around and trip over him. 

Repeatedly.

I got to the point where I'd look behind me before turning. I got it down to an art. He was always underfoot. He understood "get out" if you pointed to the door, and he'd leave, but he'd circle around and come in the kitchen through the other door. 

Goddamn, you are a sneaky pete. 

The past couple months were hard, and got harder because of his arthritis, but I did love that he loved sleeping in the guest room. We kept the shade up in there so he could look out the window. He'd just jump up there and put himself to bed some nights. Other nights he'd pace between the bedrooms and the living room if one of us was still up watching TV. 

When I did my steps everyday in the house, he would follow me. He'd be asleep on the couch, and I'd get up to move around. And he'd shadow me. I'd say "oh Phinny are you getting your steps in!" Because we had stopped taking him for long walks, or any walks really, as he got more arthritic. So happy we had the fenced in yard, because we could just open the door, and let him out, and he'd enjoy the outside. 

He would bark to let us know he wanted in. "Hey. Hey. ..... Hey." 

I'm missing him tonight. I'll miss him for a long time. I feel like it is a no bones night. 

Here's a fave pic from the porch at C's house, the porch we love. He loved it. And we love porch life. Pooch life on the porch. 

digits

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps. 

blood glucose:

8am: 190
4pm: 202
11pm: 161 

food:

coffee, water, iced tea
11am: BLT salad
noon: metformin
2pm: grilled cheese sandwich, 3 slices of american cheese, 3 slices of tomato, 2 slices of 647 bread
5:30pm: 3 beers, a shrimp & veggie quesadilla
7pm: Metformin+Jardiance
10pm: protein shake

No comments:

Post a Comment