Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Seizure

Ooooooh. Some trauma and drama today. 

Slight skip back to August to preface. While I was in Maine and up seeing mom, Doug told me Phineas had a seizure one night. It was a rough one, we'd not seen him have something like this before. Doug held him and patted him, kept him still and safe until he fell asleep. The next day he was groggy and confused, but seemingly alright. Since then, he's done some weird things like walk into our bedroom closet (twice) and get stuck because he's confused. He walks into corners. He likes to go to the front door, and instead of standing where the door opens, he goes to the hinge side, presses his nose against the corner, and waits. 

Dude come over here.

Nope. I'm hoping this side opens.

But no - look, it opens over here. 

Door opening on me? Nope. I'm. not moving. 

Wash, rinse, repeat. 

I was on a client call at 11:30am today with my ride or die buddy from the product team. He's a dog guy. The woman we met with has a cattle dog, he's 18. And she loves him. He is in pretty good health, but can't jump in bed so nightly she lifts him up and has a dog bed on her bed that is water proof (a good thing) and she just loves on him. She isn't sure he'll make it to the end of the year.  

We spent the first 10 minutes talking about our old dogs. We started talking about work stuff and Phineas, who was asleep on the floor in front of the TV table, on the hardwood, sat up and started making some faces like he was going to sneeze. Then he started spitting all over. I turned my camera and mic off, and Doug had just come upstairs. 

I messaged my buddy that I had to leave the meeting and why - thanked him for covering for me, and shut my laptop to close the meeting.

The seizure was well underway. He flailed backwards into the table, tried to stand up but couldn't gain footing on the hardwood. I had been thinking of getting a runner for the hall and kitchen to help him out because he has been having difficulty even on his best days. 

Doug grabbed him and pulled him over away from the furniture so he wouldn't hit his head again. 

"This is what happened last month, just hold him and ride it out." 

We did. After a while, Doug had a meeting so he went downstairs, and I sat on the floor with Phin, his Cinncinati Reds blanket, and the stuffed sloth that he came to us with. He was drooling and whimpering, breathing hard and fast like a horse ridden at top speed across the mountains for hours and hours. 

He managed eventually to walk around, and we went outside, he peed and laid under the bush out front while I took a meeting. It was nice on the porch, not too incredibly hot, and he seemed to be happy and comfortable out there. 

I was happy to see him stand up and try to take the stairs. Luckily I'd put Brodie's old harness on him before he went out so he'd be easy to move around. I'm glad he had it on because he turfed a bit, and I was able to get him upright easily. 

He wandered around a bit, I moved the coffee table so he'd have more rug and fewer obstacles. He made it to the guest room and laid down on the rug. I decided I'd do my call in there, and Doug picked him up and put him in the bed next to me. 

For about an hour, he just kind of chilled, didn't sleep but was calm and content. And then it all kind of started again. He puked in the bed, he went rigid and stiff, I got him off the bed and into the living room where he just stood in the middle of the room like a statue for a few minutes. I stripped the bed and Doug and I stood and looked at him, and then I called the vet. 

Thing is, we started him on a new medication yesterday for the Cushings. Seizures are not a side effect but puking, weakness, lethargy all are. 

Doug felt the seizure in August isn't related to anything but now maybe it possibly is, if it is a pituitary Cushings and not adrenal. 

But his symptoms to this point have all been adrenal (thirst, panting, peeing). The vet called me at 7pm and said to stop the Cushings meds, monitor him for the next couple days. We were supposed to go to Pittsburgh on Friday but I think now we are going Saturday. Maybe Sunday. I don't know. It all depends on if the bean can rebound. 

He has been on the floor for the past couple hours, just kind of like a lump. He hasn't eaten, or had water. I tried to get him outside at about 10pm but he didn't want to go, and Doug said he didn't need to go because he hasn't had any water, so there is no pee since I got him out last at 6pm.

I may be sleeping on the couch, not sure. Geoff is watching TV and we are in the middle of a giant thunderstorm right now, so I am not ready for sleeps.

Anyway. I took some pictures today of Phin. Here they are. 

Doug's calming hand with him while he was unsettled after the seizure.
What a good dog dad he is.


Phineas after the seizure when I was hanging with him... a very sad bean.

Doug put him in the bed to be with me while I did a call. 
this was very nice, until Phin puked all over the bed/sheets/everything.
But for a solid hour - this was very nice.

digits

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps.

blood glucose:

8:30am: 168
6pm: 130
11pm: 143

food:

coffee, water 
8:45am: slice of zucchini bread w/butter
12:45pm: cup of 2 good yogurt with the last of the granola (maybe a 1/3 cup?) 
1:15pm: metformin
6pm: ham and broccoli
7pm: metformin+jardiance
9pm: bowl of hummus w/pretzels

No comments:

Post a Comment