Monday, July 15, 2024

The Year of Firsts

This time last year, I believe I was still stunned from a 5:30am phone call from mom, and the quick putting into action the plan of going up to Massachusetts to begin the beginning of a Year of Firsts.

We've been talking a lot about these firsts this year. The first birthday without, father's day, Christmas, the first fill in the blank of whatever kind of day date event thing you'd usually do with that person. Only they are gone.

A lot of folks I know are attached to or hung up on dates. They never forget the passing of someone. They remember very vividly where they were, what they were doing, and each of the landmark moments they pass stings and leaves an indelible scar that they revisit and examine year after year. Again and Again.

I'm not as sentimental as that. But I did go to bed last night thinking about "what's significant about July 14th in my mind? What am I missing? What am I forgetting?" And I woke up with the realization. Oh.

July 14th we were waiting for an update from mom about dad in the hospital. Linda and I were discussing making a plan for going up to visit but Mom told us to wait, but we were conspiring anyway. It was a Friday, and I wrote a blog entry about how I felt selfish about the possibility of the need to be going up, and wished he could wait so we could see him in August. Linda called the hospital and was able to talk to him, and the last thing she go to tell him was "I love you," and that is incredibly important.

Then mom called at 5:30 in the morning on July 15th. We missed our chance. We should have just gone. Lesson learned, don't wait. 

And here we are, finishing our year of firsts. 

Linda started to write up a submission for a Moth-style story hour that Guster is doing at On The Ocean.  We missed the deadline, but I emailed Brian to ask if it is too late. He said to send it along, so I'll be proofreading it tomorrow morning for submission.

Lin and I chatted for a long time tonight. I'm always thankful for her being in my life. And I know today brings us a that full run round the sun for Dad's Yahrzeit, but our relationship continues for years to come I'm sure. On to the year of seconds, I guess.

Off to bed. Sharing this fave shot of Dad at the Canal, which he loved. Digits below.

digits

exercise: 12/12 hours. 29 minutes on the treadmill, a little over a mile. Skipped the circuit room to get back to work. 7500+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose:

9am: 147
5pm: 144
10:30pm: 123

food:

coffee/water
10:45am: english muffin (full power Thomas') with pb; metformin
2pm: several slices of turkey, 2 baby bel cheeses
4pm: some mixed nuts while making candied nuts
6pm: bowl of shell pasta w/meaty meat sauce
6:30pm: metformin+jardiance
7pm: 1.5 ramekins of candied nuts (help)

No comments:

Post a Comment