Saturday, March 11, 2023

5ugh5

 I was awake in the middle of the night and got an email notification on my phone, it must have been 4am. Since I know that my doctor's office lab works 24/7 I figured hey - it could be my A1c. Nope. It was the lipid panel. My cholesterol went up, just over "acceptable" but kind of a jump. Okay, I can deal with that. 

HDL/LDL were alright, those have been good as of late. No complaints.

But these triglycerides. It went up again. Even though I've had a lot less to drink (ie: not 7 days, or 5 days, maybe 2?) and I'm doing a lot more walking than this time last year. Doug says I'm not getting enough actual exercise (he says after not taking a walk for 4 days, and sitting drinking a beer). Probably. But this time last year it was not this high, and I was lucky if I was hitting 2k steps a day. Now I make it to 5k and plus.

I looked up medication that I could take and it all says "increases blood sugar, increased chances of blood clots." 

Oh, okay. Not going to do that. 

So am I going to die? I looked up the "lifestyle and food" choices and: 

Low carbohydrate and high-fiber diets that include oily fish can help lower triglycerides. Other ways to lower triglycerides include limiting added sugar intake, limiting alcohol, keeping carbohydrates to 50–60% or fewer of total daily calories, and limiting intake of saturated and trans fat.

I mean, kind of what I'm doing, right, except the fish part. 

The fish part.... Love me some fish but when it is 25 bucks a pound, we've eliminated it from our usual rotation. I love salmon, and miss eating it. Boy do I have a marinade for it that just rocks. 

here's a list of foods that I am going to investigate looping into my diet. Noted that some of this is way high in sugars to be honest, but, I can figure out things. And I've grown to love some cauliflower. It will become a friend. 

Oats. I've avoided them because of carbs. But perhaps the fiber to carb = net carbs balance is okay. 

The interwebs also say fish oil, or prescription levels of fish oil will help. Hence, the ... salmon. Right? I had a friend who took prescription levels of fish oil. He said along with a number of other vitamins and supplements, it made him smelly, and he'd fart a lot. So he slept in his own bedroom, with a window open (he lived in Georgia) to deal with it. I'm ... not excited about the idea of farty fish oil life. We'll see if I can add in just regular normal stuff for now and retest.

I emailed the nutritionist to talk about it. It's hard to be focused on lowering one set of digits, and have to pivot to focus on another. 

Anyway. Kind of a disappointing email to read at 4am, right? 

The dog ended up needing to go out at 4:30, and I didn't feed him because it is too damn early. He reluctantly came back to bed with me, and slept until 6. I let him out again, fed him, and we went back to bed. He was up at 7:30 to go out (it is alway 90 minutes between food and needing to go out again), and I was in bed at 8 am thinking to myself "Maybe I'm just up? Maybe I should just get up?" 

But I fell back asleep and had wild dreams. Click here to read the ridiculousness

Doug and I went to pick up the patio table at 5pm. The family we bought it from had gone to the zoo and got back late. The set is in the backyard, but it is too dark to take pictures. 

It's 10pm, and I just got the email on the A1c. It went up from 7 to 7.3% and I'd honestly hoped it would be lower. I'm sure I'll talk with the doctor about that one too. 

So tonight, wine and girl scout cookies and bed. No picture, but will have stuff for tomorrow.




digits

exercise: 11/12 hours of 250 steps. missed hour one because I slept in. 

blood glucose
10:30am: 160
4:30pm: 162
10pm: 192

food:
coffee, water
12noon: metformin; fajita chicken salad
8pm: metformin+jardiance
8:30pm: some slices of french bread pizza
10pm: an entire sleeve of thin mints girl scout cookies. Wine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment