Saturday, March 18, 2023

Dippy Egg

 Longtime readers know I'm not a big egg fan. I've said it before, I make a good omelet, and love to cook for other people, but for myself I'll avoid them if I can. 

Doug went into the kitchen and was futzing around. He hasn't been doing a lot of cooking, Geoff and I have been pretty much cheffing all the things up as of late. So having him go in and start whipping something up was kind of nice. I heard the oven start up and bacon going in. 

After a while he came out and handed me a breakfast sandwich. Oh, how delightful, thank you. 

But he made an over easy egg, and it was all runny on the plate. I smiled and thanked him, and ate my egg sandwich. With the awesome bacon, and the 2 slices of american cheese. 

He called Geoff to come get his, and then came out to the livingroom with his. "How is it?" he asked. I smiled and thanked him for making me breakfast, and he said "your egg was probably under done, right?" I told him yes, indeed, but not to worry. It was alright. The english muffin was very helpful. 

But thank you for duly noting I like the egg over hard. 

"You got a dippy egg though," he said, which made me smile at the sheer Pittsburghness of it all. "Yes, it sure is a dippy egg," I replied laughing slightly. 

Before I met Doug I didn't know what a dippy egg was. I linked to a nice article there but there are dozens of web results about them. Basically a sunny side up or over easy egg, the goal is to not cook the yolk. And that's delightful for some. 

For me personally? Not so much. A runny yolk or dippy egg is unwelcome. The consistency of it, the fact that I can smell the egg pretty strongly, it's almost nauseating. What I ended up doing was pulling the cheese off the top of the egg, and flipping the sandwich over so the english muffin could help absorb the dip. 

Doug said that he kind of was in a hurry to not burn the eggs, and didn't realize he didn't give it enough time for my liking, but for him this was fine. 

He went to the kitchen and made another one, and called it an egg sandwich deluxe - extra bacon, two eggs, dippy style, cheese, ketchup, and rye bread this time. 

I was thankful he made extra bacon so I could go out and get some more for myself. 

For the record, I was thinking about how sometimes people will reject this kind of thing, give back the sandwich and shake their head or worse yet, freak out. I think of my mother, who if the "wrong" fry cook is at her favorite restaurant she'll take a bite of her chicken sandwich and not eat it. She'll leave it on the plate, and the waitress will hear all about it. And then I have to sit there and listen to her bitch and moan about it for the entire meal (when I've ordered the same thing, it's fine. There's nothing wrong with how it was cooked).

"Ya know, you could send it back and order something different," I've told her, "Know what never needs the right fry cook to be in the kitchen? A nice salad. Tuna fish! Bar Pizza! Something different." 

But she's got her preferences, and now when she comes in, the waitress knows to say "oh, Johnny's the fry cook today so you'll want to order something different..." 

Poor Johnny, am I right? Does he find out that maybe he's not "doing it right?" Do the waitresses give him some audience feedback, or are they like me and they feel he's done nothing wrong or incorrect, my mom is just a particularly fussy old broad? 

I ate my brekkie sammitch with grace and thankfulness, no flipping out. And gave my plate to Phineas so he could finish the yolk that was all over the place. 

A win-win-win situation.

You can get this t-shirt online if you wanna relate to Pittsburghers and them dippy eggs an'dat.

digits:

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps. dedicated 10+3

blood glucose:
9:30am: 171
5pm: 140
10pm: 180

food:
coffee, water
10:45: egg sandwich on 647 english muffin w/bacon and 2 slices of american cheese
12:30: metformin+a little more bacon
6:30: left over "broth" from the corned beef (potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onion).  Added diced bacon and some beef stock, 2 bowls. Piece of cornbread. Metformin+jardiance

No comments:

Post a Comment