Thursday, March 23, 2023

Orlando, I am in you

An uneventful travel day yesterday, but one where I was too tired to whip the laptop out at 10pm and make an entry. Tracked my blood sugar, did alright with numbers ended the day where I began. 

Linda and I took an uber to the airport. 30 minute car ride vs 90 minute metro. We'd thought about driving and parking, but the uber was the cost of two days parking and we'd be there 5. She got to sight see out the window and enjoyed Rock Creek and the huge tall stone bridges around the zoo. 

We arrived almost 2 hours early, sat at the U Street pub restaurant in the terminal and had mimosas and sandwiches. Boarding was a piece of cake. We had wine and cranberry juice on the plane and a little crackers and cheese snack. "We're on vacation, we fancy. Cheers!" 

Arriving in Orlando, it was hot. We went from 40 degrees and sunny to 84 degrees and ... very sunny. That's Florida for ya. Noticed so many people on the airplane in fleece jackets, and thought to myself as we walked 900 miles to the baggage claim (seriously, yo. 900 miles) how hot they must be. Linda and I dressed appropriately for departure so landing would be nice. 

We were told Uber was sometimes unreliable at the ride share area of the airport, so we went to a taxi stand. I was thinking of how wonderful the taxi situation was in New Orleans, and this would be just as. The driver arrived quickly, and handed me his phone to put the location in for directions. No worries, happy to do that. But you have a navigation panel right in front of you, shouldn't we put it in there instead? 

He looked at his phone the entire time, and I got exceptionally anxious. Linda kept shooting me looks about how he was driving. I'm like dude, if you kill us before I get to see Guster... 

We got to the hotel (we are not staying near Disney but closer to the venue) and it cost 78 dollars to get here. Well, damn. That's a lot more than I thought it would be. But. I maybe chose unwisely? Because while we were waiting for the cab, I noted how many uber and lyft cars were there. Duly noted, duly noted. 

The hotel is very nice. There is a conference here for EA sports scholars, so I'm slightly intrigued. What kind of work is that? Do you get a college scholarship for playing Madden Football on the PS5 or Xbox or whatever? Lots of dudes, mostly white but a couple black guys, big laughter, big voices, happy sounding bunch. 

We got to our room, dumped our stuff, went down to the Bistro Bar to eat because we weren't in the mood to go out and find something, or order grubhub. The bartender was very nice, the food was decent, and we were satisfied. It was still early-ish, enough so that if I were traveling with Doug he'd want to go to somewhere, but Linz and I were both happy to go look at the pool and ponder going in. 

Instead, we walked over to 7-11 to get snacks and wine. The neighborhood seems to have a lot of downtrodden folk, and the cashier would yell out "Welcome, how you doin?" every time the door opened and someone came in, whether it was us, some EA Sports dudes, or neighborhood folks. 

One guy came in and she said "you good PJ?" He didn't reply so she asked again. He was a younger white guy, disheveled, wearing a black hoodie and sweatpants and a white tank top. He rubbed his belly and walked towards the hotdogs. She asked again "you good?" and he nodded slowly. "I'm awake," he said, smiling slightly. "That's good, awake is good," she said back. I smiled to her and said "you got him, you got him," and she laughed. 

"I got all these guys, I do," she said. I'm sure you do. Then Bon Jovi "Livin' on a Prayer" came on the speakers and she, Linda, and I had a little dance party sing along while she rang up our snacks, wine, party cups, and Carmex. 

Back in the room, we just kind of crashed. We poured cups of wine, but barely drank them, and passed out. Boom. Asleep.  

Today we are plotting out pedicures, and any other non-car having shenanigans that won't cost us 100 bucks to get us across town. I believe we are getting together with my high school friend Peri who is also coming to the concert with us. Last time I saw her was literally 10 years ago this week when Doug and I came here for his work conference. 

Our friends Sara, Sean, and Henry are here, staying over in Celebration, and they'll be joined today by our other friend Hallie. So we'll see what the dinner logistics are, if they'll join us or not. 

To the best of my recollection, yesterday's digits below. And a picture of my sister. I don't have a flip horizontal option, so this is a backwards photo of us. 


Wednesday Digits: 

exercise: hourly steps were messed up due to being on a plane. 9/12 hours, but, the most steps I've had in a while thanks to walking 900 miles in the airport (well. not really) I'll declare dedicated 10 for that! plus some!

blood glucose:
8am: 170
5pm: 202
9pm: 171

food:
coffee, water
noon: buffalo chicken sandwich on brioche bread (only ate 1/2 the bun), arugula salad, 2 mimosas. Metformin
on the airplane: can of wine, splash of cran, cheese & crackers & raisins
6pm: buffalo wings (6?) 2 meatballs, metformin+jardiance, wine


Thursday Digits:

exercise: 9/12 hours of 250 steps; danced my ass off at the Guster concert - dedicated 2 hours. voof.

blood glucose:
9am: 177
6pm: 220
11pm: 233

food:
coffee, water
1pm: metformin
2pm: buffalo chicken wrap & cole slaw and a lot more beer than I should have had. A. Lot.
6pm: metformin+jardiance
6:30: caesar salad w/ chicken, water








No comments:

Post a Comment