Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Cookie Fails Are Still Delicious

Today I successfully whipped up Oatmeal Craisin cookies using the Quaker Oats recipe on the inside of the lid of the container, just substituting craisins for raisins!

One of the things I like doing is putting the oats in a food processor and pulverizing them, and then making the recipe to the Toll House specifications, with the oatmeal as flour substitute. Doug told me recently that he does not like that. 

Since I anticipate him eating about 90 more cookies, I thought I'd make them to his liking. 

Or hell, maybe I should make things he hates so he won't eat them. Case in point, my family knows if I am not going to eat the Triscuits, buy the weird flavors and not the basic old school Traditional Triscuits. I mean, gross. Do not want. So yeah - Habanero spiced almonds? No thank you. So maybe if I made them in the fashion he doth despise. Well. Next time. 

I also read on the internet that one can/could/should soak their raisins in water for a couple hours to plump them up. Then, drain them, and then blot them dry, and then mix them in the dough. Never occurred to me. So I got up early and put 2 cups of craisins in a little bowl of water. And went back to bed. 

My morning was meeting free, so whipping up that Quaker Oats recipe, and doubling it to send lots of cookies to people, yielded a whole lot more than I expected. Those all got baked off, set aside to cool, and I did a bunch of work, had a bunch of meetings from 12:30 to 2pm. After that 2pm, I was supposed to have another meeting but she canceled. SoI mixed up basic Toll House to replace the ones that were already in the boxes with the Christmas cookies. Everyone got 2 of those, and some of them broke. My friend said he got his box and the Toll House were busted but delicious. So. Fresh. Let's make fresh ones. Doug and Geoff ate all of the ones I took out of the boxes last week. Mission accomplished.  

I doubled the recipe on the back of the morsels bag, but I did some miscalculations somewhere along the line, and I did a bamboozle on myself. I mentioned yesterday that I have that recipe memorized but maybe my memory isn't right or I was multi tasking by swinging back into the living room because I heard  slack notification. After I mixed everything up,  I looked at the batter and decided to do a 6 cookie test run because maybe things didn't look 100% correct. 

They were a mess. So glad I did the test run instead of having 18-20 cookies that were just jiggling discs of melted sugar and butter. 

I added a cup of flour (fun to mix in when all the chocolate chips and walnuts are now in the batter) and that test run of 3 cookies was better, but still not right. 

I know I didn't forget to add flour. But where did I go wrong? I added another cup of flour and did another test run. Much much much better. Maybe I didn't scoop right? I don't know. But then, I had so much batter. 

Everyone likes Toll House, right? 

Dang. 

And I was going to bake more Peanut Butter, because one of my coworkers is allergic to chocolate, so I was going to give her extras of the other two. I went to make the dough, but we are out of brown sugar. I could have sworn we had 1 more bag in the cabinet. Hmmm. Maybe send Geoff out for some in the morning. We're going to need more milk, I would like some Romaine for salad. He has gone to the market every day this week after the gym, he earns his keep around here. And he always stops to get beer or something, on my dime, so. Do what I ask of you, kid. 

I also think the Gas company is going to call me and ask if we have a leak, because the oven has been on all. freaking. day. "Hello, Mrs. Lady at the house? Are you in danger? We detected a large amount of gas usage today..."

Uhhh yeah. 

And, please note: I did all this intermixed with a busy but also easy going work day. When you plan things right, some free time to mix dough first thing in the morning (15 min max), and bake 2 trays for 8 to 12 cookies each throughout the day for 12 minutes per tray, you've got it down. It works.

I usually bake this much when I've been drinking, playing music, having a kitchen party of one. But today it was just all about getting it done and the desire to get it done. I tell you, when I get in a mood to do something? It gets done. 

Boxes are packed, ready to be taken to the post office. 

Also, I'm a dope. I picked up medium flat rate boxes, not realizing they are a fixed rate. The other boxes all cost me about 10 bucks each. These will be 15 each. But. I am completely out of wee boxes. Gotta order more wee things from Amazon all year, I guess.

Here are pictures of the action. Spot the failures! Digits below the pictures!






digits:

exercise: Dedicated 10+21. Put a guster album on Youtube, walked in the house. Also, I walked a lot today between kitchen and couch! You can put miles on if you're tracking it! 12/12 hours of 250 steps

blood glucose:
9am: 186
5pm: 191
11pm: 246

food:
coffee, water
10:30am: baby bell cheese
11:45am: leftover tuna casserole with extra tuna and extra soup mix.
Noon: metformin
throughout the day: cookie dough here and there. Not too much. I promise. 
6pm: metformin+jardiance
7:30pm: leftover beef stew. had several small potatoes in it, 2 small dinner rolls. 
9pm: 2 cookies. One of the Toll House Fails and one Oatmeal Craisin. 
10pm: 2 baby bell cheeses

No comments:

Post a Comment