Sunday, April 09, 2023

A Philly Weekend

Doug and I left the house around noon Friday. We'd intended to be in Philly by lunchtime, but we got in at 3:30. Doug slept in, and I didn't futz at him about it. We went to a meetup at 5 with some Guster friends, my sister finally arrived, Sara and Sean were there. Doug didn't want to go but I really wanted him to. I want for him to spend time with my friends, maybe they'll become his friends. We had a great visit, and I think he had fun. 

I even got him to join the group picture. 


He went to go for a walk, and the Guster fans went to the Fillmore. We got there well after doors, and I find if I'm not at the rail, with something to lean on, or the wall at the back, I'm kind of bummed. The Fillmore doesn't offer a lot of seating for us olds, and Linda's leg has been bothering her so much so that I

called her Captain Sciatica. 

We asked about the balcony and they told us we could "upgrade our experience" for 100 bucks a person. Gah. Fuck that.

There was another section for 75 a person, and because I was worried about her, I got the upgrade. We had our own section bartender (nice) and plenty of place to dance our asses off. Even though that was still Fuck that, it was a few dollars less of a Fuck that.

We danced, and even though her leg was bothering her, we did it, got through it, and had a great time. 

We didn't take a lot of pictures, too far away, but the show was amazing. Brian got to sing (Total Eclipse of the Heart) and a good time was had by all. 

To go with the fact I got the playlist from Huntington, she went and managed to get the set list for this show. 

After the show a few of us went to Yards Brewing but they were at last call, and the kitchen was closing. Based on his walking around the area, Doug recommended we cross the street to Silk City, open much later. Good call!  We had a blast hanging out and talking until exceptionally late. 

Saturday Linda went to go join Ronnie's family at Drexel University where her nephew was playing lacrosse with his college. They had a big tailgate and fun. 

Doug and I got out and about, and took a walk to Reading Terminal Market. Hugely crowded, we walked all through the place, eyeballing foods and drinks, and everything had a giant line and there was nowhere to sit. We finally found spots at Hatville Deli, had good sandwiches and great conversation with the girl behind the counter. We walked back down Market to our hotel's street, playing Pokemon and people watching. 




We got back to the hotel and took a big nap. Linda got back and we decided to head out to dinner to LaScala's Fire. She kind of turned into a pumpkin during the meal so we got her an Uber back to the hotel. Doug wanted to walk to South Street to check out the scene there. We were walking between the Merchant Exchange building and City Tavern (sadly closed forever, because we would have liked to have gone there, since we passed on it in 2019). Doug stumbled on an uneven brick, and I said "make note of that and don't tri----" And I tripped. I started to fly forward and grabbed the hedge row to my right, and swung into the bushes, with my face. 

Thankfully, I didn't land my ass or face on the ground, or the bricks, or the anything. But there was a crowd of people milling about. Students. Making a movie. Doing some audio. They were concerned but I told them "oh indeed, I am fine. Silly bricks, I mean, am I right!?" 

We walked on a little and I realized I was bleeding, my face took some direct branches. Ouch. I luckily had some napkins in my purse I'd chucked in there previously, so I blotted. We walked. I was starting to get pissy and grumpy. My knee started to hurt, and Doug was just la la la'ing his way along. 

Sweet Baby Jesus can we just find a bar. And go in. And Sit. Please.

On South Street, there were a dozen options and I was irritated because I thought Doug had done research and picked a place to go. But we're just walking along while he looked at things. He finally got a clue and stopped window shopping for Hookahs and eyeballing shuttered bars that didn't survive the pandemic.

We came to Wooly Mammoth where the bartender had a very good 90s playlist rocking, and we felt at home. And I got to put ice on my cheek. 

It's not as bad as it could have been. And the beer and cider made things better. When we were done, around midnight, we walked up 4th to the hotel, another mile. Without tripping. The cider and beer made for a no pain walk. And the wind had stopped. And I could have walked even further. 

Here is some mural art along the way on South Street.


This morning, my knee didn't hurt nearly as much, which is a relief. Linda packed up to go, and Doug and I were going to take a walk over to Elfreth's Alley. We circled around the Arch Street Quaker meeting house, walked by the Big Giant Ben Franklin Head that's made of keys, found coffee, strolled past the Betsy Ross House, over to the Episcopal church which was just getting out of Easter service, so all the children and parents were out being pretty in the sunshine. 

There's a bookstore across the street, we've been there before and I find it claustrophobic and tight, so I don't enjoy browsing in there, but Doug does. I enjoyed my coffee, people watching and city seeing. I did go inside to peek and met the cat who lives there. Dr. Pickles (don't call him Mr. Pickles, he didn't spend 8 years in cat medical school to not have you call him by his appropriate title, don't you know). 

I had a good time patting him, and he licked my hand and purred. That was just what I needed. 

Doug got a few books, and remembered the books he bought there in 2019 and forgot about, they're somewhere in the house, probably on a bookcase downstairs. I think I've seen them. 

We went further down 2nd street, I was hungry but Doug's stomach was bothering him. There were so many places we could duck in and eat, nothing was crowded. But he didn't want to stop and eat, lest he get ... sick on the way home. 

That was okay. I get it. 

We stopped to listen to a man playing blues guitar for quite a while, he was so good. I think Doug tipped him a 20. I wished him a happy Easter, and he thanked me - and said I was the first person to mention it. All day. The blues don't take a break for Easter.

Walking on Chestnut, we passed Constitution Cannoli King, and turned around and came back. 

Yeah. We couldn't resist them cannolis. And they were worth it. Holy crap. So good. 

Turning up 3rd, we got back to Market, and we ducked into the Fragments of Franklin's Court.  

It was a beautiful day today, big blue sky, and it was fun to walk around the grounds. We got to see the covering of his Privy, which, was right next to his Well. 

Not sure one of the smartest people in history should have put his pooper next to where you pull water but. Alright. He maybe knew something about something, I dunno. Whatever. Still I wouldn't have done that. 

Back to the hotel, get the car, head home. A great long walk seeing a lot of old city and things. 

We left around 2:30 thinking we'd be home around 4:30, but we decided to stop and have early dinner at Jimmy's Famous Seafood in Baltimore. Doug was feeling better, and felt like being an hour from home instead of 2+ with a belly of food would be a better idea. We don't get here often enough, it's so good, and I had my crab cake with a Guinness Blonde, brewed in Baltimore

So we changed from Philly Things to Baltimore Things. Just in time to get home. 


I'm not sure what I'm going to without a Guster concert every weekend so I'll have to make due and get through April and half of May, and survive. 

I will be exhausted for a couple of weeks though. 

Worth it. 

I didn't do a good job of tracking the digits, the wifi in the hotel was pretty bad, so I just decided to do this entry here at home. 

Here's the big giant Benjamin Franklin Head. Digits for today below. 

Sunday digits

exercise: 9/12 hours of 250 (car ride = less opportunity for walkies). Very long walk in Philly in the morning before we left.

blood glucose:

9am: 209
5pm: 183
9:30pm: 197

food: 
coffee, water
10am: mixed nuts, pepperoni
2:30pm: Metformin; 2 crab cakes, coleslaw, 2 beers
5pm: big ass cannoli 
8:30: mixed nuts; protein shake
9:30pm: metformin+jardiance

No comments:

Post a Comment