Friday, April 21, 2023

Ants Marching

"When all the little ants are marching
Red and black antennas waving.
They all do it the same
They all do it the same way."
-Dave Matthews Band

(Note: This should have published Thursday night but I fell asleep!)

We've had ants in the house each spring that we've been here (this is spring number 3). Last year we waged all out war on them, pulling everything out of the cabinets, spraying everything down with Raid organic lemongrass ant spray. We found they were coming into the house through the back door, so we sprinkled diatomaceous earth around the back porch, steps, and door jamb. This greatly reduced the ant population. We only had to do it the one time. Pretty great.

Here we are again. Yesterday I went to get a cup of coffee, there were two or three ants on the counter, I killed them with a piece of paper towel. Geoff makes the coffee in the morning and positions the coffee maker at the very edge of the counter so he can open the top, and open the cabinet above. He leaves it there, and I don't like it at the edge. 

I lifted the coffee maker up and about 100, or maybe ten thousand, ants came scurrying out. Goddamn, you guys. 

It must have been nice and cozy under there, but, it was their end. 

I determined that I had to do the war waging right then and there. Well, after some meetings. I let my manager know around 4pm I'd be signing off, and I went into battle. 

The counter was cleaned off, the cabinets emptied. I found the remnants of a broken glass behind the basket I keep measuring cups in (ask me how I found that!) and my kitchen looks "move in ready."

I got the Raid "lemograss" spray out, and did the edges of everything, and let it all dry. Geoff got home from work at 5 and helped put things back. 

I've seen one ant so far. So help me, you jerks. Stay out of my kitchen. 

We had chinese food for dinner, which was a dietary mistake. See the 9pm Blood Glucose Reading below. 





digits:

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps; Dedicated 10

blood glucose:

9:30am: 163
4:30pm: 140
9pm: 262

food:
coffee, water
11:30am: 647 english muffin w/ peanut butter and a teaspoon of peach preserves (not low sugar!)
12:30: Metformin
1pm: 2 good berry yogurt
4:30pm: very hot spicy hummus & about 15 small pretzels 
6pm: Metformin+Jardiance
7:30pm: Chinese food: Lo Mein, general gao's chicken wings, veggie peking ravioli (do not recommend), 1 spring roll, pork+garlic
9:30pm: Protein Shake 

No comments:

Post a Comment