Sunday, April 16, 2023

GusFam

A couple of our Guster friends were passing through the are on their way to family down in Southern Maryland. I had reached out to him because my work wife needed a Red Sox shirt for an upcoming Sox/Orioles game. She wants to represent Boston at the game, while her son is wearing an Orioles shirt. She had been shopping online and the shirts were over 40 bucks. 

"I need a side quest, if you choose to accept it," she tells me. "Do you know any one who will go to Walmart of Target and grab me a shirt, and send it to me?"

I happened to think of my friend Spicy V. He's always the go-to for side quests and fun. I messaged him and he said he actually was on his way to buy a shirt for his nephew, who lives south of us, and they're headed our way. "I'll pick up a shirt and do you one better, save the money on the shipping and we can have lunch on my way!" 

Well, heck yeah! 

Today was the day, we met up with our other nearby friends Sara, Sean, and Henry. V's wife Kendra was with him, so we had a full house. And you'll notice, even Doug came out. The reluctant Doug, who sometimes avoids the things I like because he is overwhelmed by them. I was proud of him. And glad to have him there.

We had a laugh riot, telling stories. Kendra once had a 17 yr old cat die, in the thick of January. V tried to dig a hole out back to bury it but the ground was frozen, ... you know what you do then. Cat in freezer, and you take it out to bury it at your parents' house next time you visit them. In July. Doug made a comment about what, you had to move the dead cat to get to the pizza rolls and ice cream? Howling laughing ensues. 

Sara said to Doug "I hope you can tell, that when your wife goes off to Guster concerts and goes all over the place it isn't just the band, it's this." She gestured around the table, to the "GusFam" present. Many others are in the family. We all love each other, and have these ridiculous times together. 

Since moving to Maryland, I haven't made a lot of friends outside work, and having Sara up the street is super nice. Going to her graduation party for her Master's degree, she didn't think I'd come but I did. I'm inviting her to Geoff's shindig for his graduation. We're here for each other. And it's friends, family, fun. And we do love going to see Guster.

V brought the shirts for RCJ and they're fantastic, also 2 rip off uniform Sox jerseys he found in his basement, and threw those in too. He said one is for me, one is for her. "If they're too small, just don't button them up, wear a t-shirt under and be a "bro" Sox fan." He brought an assortment of beers (we gave him some beers too because I knew it would be appreciated), and he gave us Teddie peanut butter and Fluff. 

We had a delightful time. I was sad for them to go. Photo here, digits below.

digits:

exercise:  took kind of a steps break today. Only 5/12 hours

blood glucose:
9:30am: 177
6pm: 198
9:45pm: 196

food:
coffee, water 
11am: 2 colby cheese snacks, metformin
12:30: large salad with corn, beans, spicy chicken, blue cheese
6:30pm: metformin+jardiance, Fish sticks & salad (you know we're out of food options when this happens)

No comments:

Post a Comment