Saturday, April 29, 2023

Grilling

 Oh boy did I sleep in. 

I don't sleep through the night usually, between the dog and my bladder (his bladder too) it is rare that I get to sleep in long stretches of time. This morning, he woke up at 2am, and then we went to the guest room and he slept until 6:50, which is so incredibly late for him. I thought about just being up, but, it's Saturday, no one else was up, and I didn't want to be disruptive or noisy or anything. 

We headed back to bed after he had breakfast, and I fell back asleep. It was a deep sleep, almost immediate. Glad I did it. Sometimes I play with my phone, but this morning I just didn't feel like it. 

I heard Doug and Geoff talking and figured I ought to get up. Surprised to see it was already after 10:30. Must have needed that stretch. 

We didn't go to the farmers' market, it was cold, damp, and dreary when Doug got up so he passed on the idea. I'm somewhat disappointed, but it's okay. Talked to Aaron for about 2 hours, lots going on in Oregon and Washington for him over there on that side of the country. He and I had been playing phone tag for days so it was good to connect. 

While we talked, I went through my pile of clothing on the chair, put everything on hangers that belongs on hangers. Got laundry folded, the winter bed sheets and a couple other things. Pulled out some pillow cases to cover the extra pillows, they'll be needed in two weeks so may as well get organized. 

Doug went out to change the windshield wipers on the Jeep, Geoff had told him weeks ago they weren't working well and one of them just disintegrated on him the other day on the way home from clinical. Oops. Procrastination. It was funny because he had started to change them a few weeks back and the sky opened up. "Ironically, I didn't get to my windshield wiper task because of rain." 

So that's a good thing to get taken care of today. And he changed the headlights to better ones. We're not sure how much longer the Jeep is going to be viable but heck, it passed inspection in March so we'll ride it until it doesn't want to ride anymore. He has just a couple more weeks of going to Virginia with this thing, and hopes to find a job local, possibly on the Metro, so he won't have to think about it anymore. 

That'll be good. Again, I keep saying it, we'll see what happens.

Tonight I grilled. I love grilling. I pre-heated the beast (the grill) and then lowered the heat to the halfway mark. I put the peppers and onions on a copper sheet on one side of the grill, and had those cooking before anything else, 5 minutes then flip. Peppers and onions always take longer than you think they will.

After I flip, depending on how grilly they look, I'll put whatever I'm cooking on the other side of the grill.

 Tonight it was Bratwurst. I always strike them 3 times across the brats with a knife, so they don't curl and do weird things. 

I turned the heat off under the peppers and onions, lest I burn them. Don't want burned veggies.

The front of our grill is much hotter than the back, so I ended up burning those a little, moved them up the top of the "away from direct heat" shelf. 

Doug said to me "you're just grilling sausages, what's taking so long?" 

Me not burning the fuck out of them and doing it right, you'll thank me in about 10 minutes. 

I made a giant salad with mixed greens, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese. Then put the peppers on top of the grilled veg and Doug and Geoff put them on buns. I put mine on top of the salad. I put Brianna's chipotle dressing on top of my salad, and then the sautéed peppers and onions and 3 brats on top of that. 

Twas delightful, and no pictures taken. I was too busy eating the hell out of it. 

Instead of a picture of dinner, here's Phineas, hoping for my dinner. "You have bratwurst? I also like bratwurst."


digits:

exercise: 10/12 hours of 250 steps; no dedicated 10.
Slept through 9am steps; somehow missed 4pm even though I was actively walking around, not sure how I failed that hour.

blood glucose:

10:45am: 184
5pm: 153
10pm: 188

food:
coffee, water
1:30pm: metformin; turkey and cheddar on 647 bread
6pm: Metformin+Jardiance
7pm: 3 bratwurst, salad, grilled peppers & onions
beers
9pm: trail mix/mixed nuts whilst watching the hockeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment