Wednesday, January 03, 2024

A day of many things

All day today I thought it was Thursday. Sadly, it is only Wednesday. I'd prefer if it was Thursday but. Beats the shit out of it being Tuesday. 

This morning, Miss Toffee and I went outside so I could walk around and she could do her usual zoomies. I saw a man in a white pick up truck from the county dropping off new recycle bins. Hot Damn. Yes Please.

Ours was busted up, and I had been thinking about calling the county for a new one, again. We've gone through a couple of these, they are brittle plastic and really kind of lame. So I asked him if he was giving those out for free, and he said yeah. I'll swing by your house!

Sweet. 

Mind you, I'm actually excited about getting a new recycle bin. I'm not right in the head. 

He came around the corner and smiled, as I was already standing there next to a brand new recycle bin.

"oh! you already dropped one off!" I said. He laughed and said he didn't realize we put our trash at the side yard, and yeah, any recycle bin he was seeing that was busted was getting picked up and was replaced. He even put our house number on the side. 

You know, just in case of a wind storm. Which has happened. We've lost our bin, and have ended up with someone else's bin. And no one puts their house number on their bin. 

So it is an exciting day today. Hooray. 

I guess I'm easily amused. 

In other news, I made a hotel reservation for Jess today. They're going to Toronto and for Christmas I told them I'd pay for the hotel. They let me pick, and I found a good Marriott hotel that I'll actually get Bonus (2k every day) points for their stay. Hot fucking DAMN. 

After making the refundable reservation, I read the confirmation and it said my credit card would have to be presented at check in. 

Um, no? That's not what I want. I didn't have a Pre-Pay option that wasn't Non-Refundable so I picked the other one, and actually I liked this one better because of the extra points. But no. Jess is not going to have my card upon check in.

So I had to call the hotel. And just ask "what's up with that." I got stuck with an AI/auto-attendant/asshole system and couldn't get to a human. Geoff came home from work to hear me getting more and more annoyed with the thing. Just give me a person, for fuck's sake. Sometimes an auto-attendant can answer questions but in this case no - no. You can't answer my question, Machine. 

Eventually, I got a person. 

She was lovely and emailed me a pdf form to print and fill out and FAX back to them. 

Um.

Fax? What is FAX???!!! For REAL? She didn't offer to put my credit card in the system, she didn't offer any assistance other than a pdf and fax. 

So I guess. I will fill that out and find a fax machine somewhere on the planet. Staples? My Office which I do not go to? Ugh. 

And, for good measure, I'm mailing it to Jess so they have it. My sister went through this with a recent hotel stay that she was supposed to have put on her business card but it went onto another personal card, and she filled all this out, faxed it in, and they still billed the personal card. So nope. Learning from experience. 

And finally, in November we had an electrician come to the house through our rental company. We kept tripping breakers. If the dishwasher was going, and someone ran the microwave, boom. If the coffee maker was running, and someone started the dishwasher, boom. 

The three items just kept pissing each other off. To the point where I'd have to yell at anyone if I was about to make coffee or heat up something. And we started only running the dishwasher at night. 

Invariably, someone would run something that conflicted with something else and anger would result. So I set up a service visit. 

The electrician looked at everything and looked at the washer and dryer plugs (oh, super smart, let's use an adapter for 3 pronged plugs into a 2 prong outlet. Super). 

I also asked if we could have some outside outlets. I would LOVE an outdoor plug to run some fun party lights on. And Christmas lights. I think I have written about "if this was my house I'd put XYZ things in, like a screened in porch!" in the past. But honestly, some exterior plugs would be super great. He said it would be so easy, and inexpensive.

He wrote up his list of recommendations, and said he'd take them to the rental company. 

I never heard back. So yesterday in between calls, I emailed the company and said "so hey, what ever became of that visit?" and they immediately called. The homeowner approved all the requests and the electrician would contact me to set up time. 

He'll have to turn off our power for the whole day so I think I'll take a vacation day. Doug said he'll go into the office. Toffee will sniff the guy a lot. 

So yay. New recycle bin, new electric stuff. I'm easily entertained!

And here's my dog's nose from while I was on a zoom call today and I could not resist her. Digits below.

digits 

exercise12/12 hours of 250 steps.  2k by 12; 5k by 5. dedicated X a couple times around the house at different hours. 7200+ at bedtime

blood glucose:

9am: 195
5:45pm: 169
9:45pm: 190

food:
coffee, water
10:30am: pizza cheese melted off Geoff's pizza bagel
1pm: pbj sandwich on 647 bread; metformin
6pm: mac+cheese w/ground beef
7:30pm ramekin of mixed nuts; handful of m&ms 
red wine+diet ginger ale

No comments:

Post a Comment