Sunday, January 07, 2024

Geoff is 27

It is simultaneously cool and hard to believe Geoff is 27 today.  

He's had a challenging couple of years but compared to some of my friends and their kids' challenges, I'll take all of Geoff's and do my best to keep him focused, motivated, and doing great. Which he is. And I love him. Keep growing and evolving into a wonderful and more wonderful human being, my dude. 

Today we went to run errands, we had lots of birthday and christmas checks to deposit. And Geoff's birthday outing choice was a place called Quench. It's a local beer/wine store and tap room/restaurant, where they have a ton of craft beers, and some decent bar food. Not at all fancy, just right. The goal is the craft beer. 

Doug had found it online a while back and we have been a couple times. Then while I was up at my mom's Doug took Geoff there for dinner once and Geoff loved it. 

He asked why we'd kept it a secret from him. I had to laugh. It made me remember him asking the same thing one day when we had to run an errand to Beverly, MA and I took him to Nick's Famous Roast Beef for lunch. As the kids say, IYKYK, amirite? It blew his little mind. He loved it. And asked why I'd kept it a secret. 

Not so much as keeping something a secret but we don't head to Beverly too often. And Doug and I had only been to Quench a couple times so this is a fairly new discovery for us. No secret keeping here.

The cool thing about Quench as a craft beer location is they don't sell any LOCAL craft beer. I had talked to the owner back on our first visit and he said you can go to any beer store, or brewery in person, and get all the local beer you want. Here, they've got tons of stuff from New England and Upstate NY, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and a lot of smattering from around the country. On our first visit I was overjoyed to see Jack's Abby and Maine Beer on tap. 

Sadly, we got there and the taproom is closed on Sundays even though their website said they're open. So Geoff called an audible, and we headed to BrewBelly, where we've been many times. They sell all local craft from "the DMV" and they have outstanding cheesesteaks and poutine. 

So while I didn't get the goat cheese and spinach salad I wanted, I did get a cheesesteak and everything was delicious. 

After lunch, we came home to save Toffee. It was the first time we'd put her in the kennel and left her here. She's been in it before, but we've been home. I have been trying to get her comfortable with it, and she goes in, and has snacks and treats. But she was screaming in the kennel when we left, and I felt super bad. But she and we survived. 

With her foster mom, she was unkenneled and free ranged in the house all day while mom was at work, but she's been trying to get in the closet where we keep the dog food, and has opened the pantry a couple times when left to her own devices... I didn't really want her to have free range.  We'll try to do this once in a while just to show her that it's a good and happy place. And she is young enough that she'll grow to understand it. Unlike Phineas, who hated it and hurt himself trying to escape. 

We picked up a cake for Geoff, his choice. It's a Smith Island Cake, traditional yellow cake with chocolate frosting. If you're not familiar with it, it's unique to Maryland. Several layers of thin almost pancake like, with frosting. It's really good, but a little weird if you ask me. So that was our big treat. 

Here are a couple pictures from today. A good day. Digits are below.



digits 

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps.   2k by 1pm; 5300+ steps by bedtime No dedicated 10.

blood glucose:

9am: 157
4pm:  230
10pm:  218

food:
coffee, water
10am: oat/ginger/banana bar that I baked yesterday. Won't be baking them again. Dry & not very flavorful. hmmm.
11:45: metformin
2pm: cheesesteak w/onions, bacon, chili cheese fries, 2 beers
4pm: 2 beers while playing D&D
6pm: metformin+jardiance
6:30pm: small bowl of spaghetti w/ meat sauce and 1 piece of garlic bread

No comments:

Post a Comment