Thursday, January 11, 2024

A kind of quieter day

There are three large machines running downstairs. Dehumidifiers, fans. They are giant. And loud. And vibratey. 

I went to bed last night and luckily was so tired I fell right asleep but woke up at 2. Doug was snoring loudly, and Geoff is staying in the guest room since his bedroom is in absolute turmoil right now and the basement door is open to let air in. So he can't really sleep downstairs. Oh, and the downstairs couch is very comfy but covered with boxes so. No. He'll be upstairs for a little while. 

I didn't have anywhere to just go to put on a podcast or read, like I do when I wake up at 2am. So I just waited to fall back asleep, listening to the hum. I thought it would be like a white noise machine, but the fact I could feel it, I just couldn't go back to sleep for a super long time.

Carpet guy came back today to evaluate the progress and said that things are getting better and drier. He is such a nice guy and said he's been to dozens of houses in the last 48 hours. One house he had to hire a pump truck to have them get the water out of a woman's basement at a VERY fancy house in Potomac. 

It reminded me of years ago when we had some horrible flooding. 

I had woken up to go to the bathroom, knew our basement in the 1774 house was full of water so I went down to just look. It was an unfinished, dirt floor basement, and we would just periodically check to see if the water was coming up too high on the furnace. 

The washer and dryer were up on risers. So we rarely had to worry - we just had to wait for the sump pump to catch up and get the water out, but it had to go somewhere - and sometimes it is just that wet out. I went back upstairs and looked out the bedroom window to see my neighbors, who had just moved in, carrying buckets out of their basement. 

Shit.

I got dressed, got on my boots, grabbed a tall trash barrel and a bucket and crossed the street and introduced myself. 

Turns out, they went to the same college we did, and they just moved in with their 3 kids. The sump pump failed and so they were just ... doing their best. I suggested we start a fire brigade style and just pass buckets up to each other, instead of doing stairmaster 5000. 

We didn't make that big a dent, but someone drove past from the fire department and said they had a pump truck, and would dispatch it as soon as possible. 

The fire department came over to check on us once they pumped out Liz and Ben, and Doug checked to see where the water was and we decided yeah - let's take you up on the pump offer too. 

I remember being very sore. And happy to make new friends. They now live not too far from here in Bowie. We keep talking about getting together. Gotta make that a thing this year.

That's the worst I've ever seen it. So this situation, not so bad. Not so bad in comparison. For sure. 

I'll be relieved though when the machines are not running. 

This morning I ate two English Muffins becauses they are just so freaking good and delicious. And took a picture of the good and deliciousness of one. So good. And I'm not even mad about it because my readings today didn't super suck!

Digits, below.


 digits 

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps. 2k steps by 12:15pm; 6200+ steps (it was a busy meeting day).

blood glucose:

8:30am:  156
5pm: 158
10pm: 141

food:
coffee, water
11:15: english muffin w/pb and cherry preserves 
11:30: Metformin
11:45 another english muffin w/pb and cherry preserves (I'm weak, and hungy)
6pm: 2 baked stuffed peppers w/chorizo, onion, diced peppers, cheddar cheese
8pm: mixed nuts
white wine

No comments:

Post a Comment