Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Dr. Seuss Bike Guy

Tremendously sad that I do not have a picture to go with this so words are going to have to do. 

There is a man in our neighborhood who rides his bike up the street in the morning with his children in it, taking them to daycare. 

Doug describes him as the Dr. Seuss Bike Guy. Paint this picture in your mind. The bike is kind of a tall, higher than normal bike with big handle bars. He has a small cart in the back for his gear, and a huge buggy thing in the front covered in a plastic protective bubble where the children go. 

And he has lights on the bike frame, the buggy, and his cart, so people can I guess, see him and not run him and his children over. 

Doug thinks he looks ridiculous. I don't think he looks THAT ridiculous but. We have a lot of bike commuters around here who take the kids to daycare or school and then go to the Metro and take the train in to their office. 

I told Doug I don't think he looks THAT ridiculous and Doug said "oh yes he does." He continues to say, while flapping his arms around and pretending to pedal, "He's one red and white stripey top hat and big fuzzy set of feet away from a character with a star on his belly, a smug grin, and a big stick with plates spinning on it!"  

Hyperbolic, much? Well. It was amusing to watch him. Even if I think his assessment is unfair. We don't know this guy. We don't know he's smug just because he rides a bike in all weather to get his children around the neighborhood and get to work. Biking doesn't necessarily equal "smug." 

But the bike is funny. 

Today as predicted, I thought hard about going to the gym when Doug got up at 6:45. But the call of the pillow and the cuddle with the dog after she had breakfast was too powerful. I got up and started work, attended a 2 hour webinar that was very interesting but a little exhausting. I made chicken salad for lunch, I prepped fajitas for dinner and was going to just go to the gym and eat after I got back. One of my coworkers who lives in California messaged me asking for some help, so we jumped on a call. Until 8pm. And I realized I did not proofread an announcement another colleague had wanted to schedule to deliver overnight. Oops. Jumped on that. Now it is 8:30pm. I'm not going to the gym, I'm going to have a beer and watch some crazy documentary about trains and mining. 

I did want to share that while prepping dinner, I opened my yellow pepper and there was a wee baby green pepper dealie growing inside. I felt bad, but I cooked it. 

And it was wonderful. And here's the picture. Okay. Digits below and I'm going to try and go to the gym tomorrow. For Real. 

digits 

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps.  no dedicated 10. 5300+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose:

9:30am: 147
5pm: 169
10pm: 183

food:

coffee, water 
11am: several red grapes
noon: large bowl of chicken salad w/red grapes, walnuts, mayo, cream cheese; metformin 
(between 1 and 3 more spoonfuls of chicken salad while walking through the kitchen)
5:45pm: 1 chicken fajita w/cheese, onion, peppers, sour cream
8:45pm: bowl of mixed nuts
2 beers

No comments:

Post a Comment