Thursday, January 25, 2024

Do You Lidl?

I went to the gym tonight and next door is a Lidl supermarket. 

I had heard that Lidl was related to Aldi, which a lot of people know about, but they don't know about Lidl. We go to Aldi a lot - mostly when we need our bulk stuff and freezer things but never for fresh produce.... and they do have the BEST sourdough bread. 

But I'd never been to Lidl. Here's an article about Aldi & Lidl, which may be interesting to read later on.

Anyway, my friend Sara said Lidl was bogus and the absolute worst. She'd gone there and the place was absolutely disorganized, they had clothing for sale next to dairy. And her mom saw a rat in the produce department. 

But.

Okay. Alright. Okay. I needed a half gallon of milk tonight, and I went to the gym (not gonna hurt myself patting my own back) and ... well I wasn't going to go to Giant or Target to just to get a half gallon of milk. 

I went to Lidl. Next door to the gym.

Geoff texted me and asked me to bring home some spaghetti sauce to augment dinner. Okay. I went to the pasta section and they had Raos for 9 dollars a jar (ugh) and their own brand for 1.98 a jar. Okay great. I grabbed 2. We'll give it a try. I went to the dairy section, got a half gallon of milk. 

And I noticed indeed, there were swim trunks for sale and fleece blankets, and bathroom rugs all next to the dairy. This place is disorganized and wild. 

Sara's not lying. 

I headed to the cash register to get out of there, I kind of wanted to spend time exploring to see whatever else was in there that was unexpected and weird... but I wanted to get home to eat. 

I walked down the cleaning aisle, and they had Borax and other products there that I swear to the heavens I have not seen for sale anywhere in like 20 years?! 

The bakery was a high point, fresh baked items were actually being put out onto the shelves, and I grabbed a baguette for the spaghetti tonight, hot and right into the bag, perfect. I 

Oh and the cheese section was fascinating too. If I need some mexican cheeses, this is where to go. Dang. Really "exotic" for my experience! 

At the cash register, I realized my milk lid was open. The cashier rang me up and I pointed this out and said that I wanted to run back and grab a different one because ,,,, well. that shouldn't be. He rang me up, I paid, and I ran back to get another half gallon. 

Part of me wants to spend more time investigating what the options of this weird store are, but tonight wasn't the night. Had to get home, and Geoff was waiting for me. 

I did notice the bottom of my half gallon of milk was collapsed in, so it doesn't stand up. Not sure why the dairy would be so abused at Lidl, but. 

Eh, I'll go back to investigate some more. Maybe I can find a need for Chihuahua cheese, which I learned years ago is not cheese obtained by milking Chihuahua dogs. And if you try to make that joke at a mexican restaurant in Florida, pray your waiter gets it. 

Digits below. And honestly, I promise I'll take pictures of something other than my dog but here's Toffee monitoring stuff going on outside. Gotta stay on guard. Protect the Fam.

digits 

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps. 1 mile on the treadmill, 26 min. 2 miles on the recumbent, 11 min. 10k+ by bedtime

blood glucose:

8:30am: 183
n/apm: forgot to take a reading before leaving for the gym
10:30pm: 193

food:
coffee, water
10am: slice of banana bread
noon: pbj sandwich on 647 bread; metformin; protein shake
7pm: metformin+jardiance, small amount of pasta w/meat sauce, small piece of french bread
red wine
9pm: trailmix (with raisins and m&ms) 

No comments:

Post a Comment