Friday, January 19, 2024

Take a Pause

I took a sick day today. I'm not sick-sick, but mental health-wise I'm just flat out tired, exhausted. 

Done. And it was a short week to boot. I just made it shorter. I feel like I could be very happy working a 4 day work week, but when you have to cram 5 days into 4, it makes it more challenging. So 5 works, for managing what I have to do. Maybe 4 sounds nice but, no.

Today would have been a clean-up day. Our team blocks the afternoons off to do "housekeeping" on our tickets but I'm usually naughty and that's when I book meetings with stations when I literally have no time to meet with them otherwise. Today I had nothing booked meetings-wise. So I felt I wouldn't be disappointing anyone by backing out of anything scheduled a week or so ago. Everyone on my team calls out when they're tired, or headachey, or feeling blue. We're very good to each other, and I feel like I never take time. I'd have to be for real sick for me to take time. 

And today, today was the day to pause.

There is work to be done for sure. I have a hoard of tickets from our devs on one of our products that I have to review and check. It is a product that I've complained gets absolutely no developer attention but here we are - it is getting attention, and now I'm the blocker. I'm not paying attention. 

Speaking of housekeeping, I did apply some effort into things today. I bleached the non-slip bath mat and scrubbed the bathtub. I pulled all the laundry together, but no one took it downstairs yet. I swept. Looking around the living room and under the credenza, I noticed how much Toffee Toy Stuffing and body parts of various former animals and stuffies were everywhere. And the poinsettias are shedding leaves and flowers, and those fall on the floor and usually are gently foot-swept under the tables. So sweeping happened, and swiffering happened, and what next needs to happen is a good vacuuming and then I really should mop. 

Vacuuming can happen when Doug heads into the office, since he hates it so much. Unfortunately, he has not gone into the office in several weeks. The holidays, me being away, the new dog, his boss was out so he doesn't go in if she's not there, weather. If the weather turns nicer, I can do it when he takes the dog for a walk again. She hasn't been for a good walk in several days. But at least she has this good good yard to run around in and have a good time. 

I got the mop out and discovered it is broken. It will not pull up or push forward, so you can't wring it out and you can't put on a new freaking mop-head. I do not understand how something like that just stops working or breaks. Even Doug tried to force it to move and it would not cooperate. 

I saw a TV commercial for a swiffer mop, where the woman in the commercial is whining about how much she hates mopping every day. And, she's using the kind of mop you should have a wringer attached to the bucket for, and this dummy is hand-wringing a filthy FILTHY mop. 

First off, if you are mopping every day, lady, hows come your mop is so damn disgustingly dirty? Why aren't you using a good mop wringer? The kind attached to the big giant yellow bucket at the elementary school? Also no one has to mop every day oh my god stop it.

Handwringing a freaking rope mop in skanky water. No wonder you hate mopping. You're ridiculous. 

I took Geoff to work at 12:30 since it was snowing, and very cold, and I didn't want him walking in the snow. Then I went to the gym to find it closed. Doh. Should have called first. Oh well. But look at me, I'm out of the house and I'm doing the things. 

We needed things at Target so I went to the mall and thought ya know... you need some winter boots, stupid. So I started to walk to the opposite end of the building and discovered there was a new shoe store on the main level, as opposed to the other shoe store I was headed to downstairs. 37 bucks later and I got me some basic waterproof Totes.  Victory.

Then, after like 400 bucks of stuff at Target later, I headed home. Doug took the afternoon off and was napping so I schlepped all the groceries in by myself, put everything away by myself, got dinner ready... by myself. 

I hate that Geoff has a job now. ha. 

It wasn't a lost day. Between Target and the long walk in the mall I got steps in. Lots of steps. Like a mall walkin' granny. 

Tomorrow will be a good day. My man Henry has a piano recital, and of course he invited me. I went to his first one, can't remember the date but I'm not sure it has been a year. He's grown and come a long way. I'm super excited to hear him play. I bought him roses to give him after his performance. Sara suggested it, and couldn't get them herself because they'd be in the car with him, and he'd see them. So I'm the secret bouquet deliverer. 

And then there is football. 

Here are a couple pictures, More tomorrow, I'm sure. I will say, Toffee enjoyed that tennis ball that she found in the yard from the Phineas days, for about 12 hours. And this morning, I felt like the alligator.


digits 

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps. 2k by noon; lots of steps in target and the mall but not really a dedicated 10 of any sorts. 8400+ stepsby bedtime

blood glucose:

9am: 157
5pm: 140
10:30pm: 143

food:
coffee, water
10am: 4 strips of bacon
noon: metformin
5:45pm: bowl of pasta shells in meat sauce; red wine+no sugar ginger ale
7pm: Metformin+jardiance

No comments:

Post a Comment