Saturday, March 16, 2024

5 AM, March 16th

Happy JOTR (Jesus on the Radio) day to those who celebrate. 


5a.m. March 16, Jesus on the radio, you took a photograph of me on your yellow bucket seat
It's too high, it's too wide, you're so low you don't know
To get through to go around 

So don't look back, there ain't nothing there to see
Was once like you, can't say I recognize that face in that picture that you keep
It's too high, it's too wide you're so low you don't know
To get through to go around
To get through to go around


What I love most about this version of the song is all 5 Gusters are on stage. Joe Pisapia (in the hat) had left the band to do other things and they brought on Luke Reynolds (all the way to the left) to fill his shoes. 

But at the Caverns at in Tennessee, near Nashville where Joe lives, they brought him on for the encore. 

Jesus on the Radio has become their encore/closer. They usually sing it at the edge of the stage or in the audience even, without amplification at all. Someone asked me once when this tradition began, and I have no idea. I just know it doesn't feel like an encore/show finish until we're all singing along with the band like a family campout.


Not me, close enough to the edge of the stage to grab this decent photo, but also not me singing along and then Adam acknowledging I nailed the harmonies and sounded great. 

If they ever get their Tiny Desk, this is the closer too. Manifest it, willing it into existence. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment