Sunday, March 10, 2024

Small Children, Dogs, and Our Software All Hate Daylight Saving

When Geoff was a small human he would get knocked out of orbit by falling back and springing forward. His brain couldn't deal with it. He'd pace the house, be unable to sleep or adjust for weeks after, especially the Fall Back portion of the dance card. 

My friend Sara told me her son Henry is boycotting the time change this year. "It is stupid, useless, and I'm not participating this year." 

Good luck with that there, buddy. 

A coworker told me his son was completely broken this morning because the coffeemaker had one time, the microwave and oven had another, the automatic feed on netflix matched the coffeemaker, and he was confused. What time is it really. What. Time. Is. It. My colleague had no idea his son was so in tune with the appliances.

Our dogs, who always tell time with their bellies, would always be confused. Toffee was taken for a walk today  at 4:30, which her body thinks is 3:30, and she ate dinner when she came home at 5pm, which her belly things is 4pm. She ate, but I think she's not sure we did this right. 

We have software that our clients use that relies on time. Start time, end time, what is the time. And everything is an hour off. A full hour. 

So yeah, that happened. It has never happened. And clients are .... panicking. It's kind of a bad thing, but here we are on a Sunday with no way to fix it. I thought about taking tomorrow off but I'll have to get up early to mitigate this issue and get pulse checking with the devs. Make sure this gets fixed. 

I am not on call but somehow my Slack indicated I was online, so my colleague (the same one with the little boy who was broken about the coffeemaker and microwave) reached out to me to ask for help with this product. I'm kind of the "Subject Matter Expert" on it, the SME, Smeeeee. I looked into things and for a client who was expecting to see X, they were seeing an hour earlier, Y. 

Yikes no. 

So he and I poked some things and talked about the stuff and yeah. Nothing we can do without a developer. And the developers were not responding to me knocking on the door at 1pm on a Sunday. 

It'll have to be looked at on Monday. Here's a work-about to keep things looking decent. Have a nice day. 

After my colleague and I got things mostly settled down, I went to the gym. Doug was napping, so I was bored. Got up. Went out. Gym was not at all crowded at 4pm. Got everything done that I wanted to get done. I went to Lidl, got Geoff some Mac & Cheese, and some parsley and scallions for a marinade for dinner tonight that I had started.

My house smells like soy sauce and ginger. 

Doug was kind of a lump in the road this weekend, usually I am the lump in the road. I have no reasons to be mad at him or anything, we are all entitled to our lump days and weekends. Especially with hating Daylight Saving.

All told, a pretty great day but not a perfect weekend. They can't all be perfect, right?







digits 

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps. 1 mile on the treadmill, 26 min registered on the fitbit. Full circuit room. Hell yeah. 8000+steps by bedime

blood glucose:

9am: 174
5:30pm: 210
10pm: 150

food:

coffee/water 
10:30am: english muffin w/pb and cherry bonnie maman's
11am: metformin
1pm: piece of bacon; bowl of mac & cheese with bacon
6pm: vodka tonic; metormin+jardiance
7:15pm: salmon (marinade: tbsp brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, parsley, scallions, lime juice); tiny baby potatoes roasted in olive oil, s&p
8pm: oreo cookie imitations from Aldi. So Lame. Vodka tonic.
9pm: mixed nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment