Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Wish we had this money when we were younger

Doug informed me that he has to go to the office tomorrow for his annual review. In person. He got to read it in advance and he's super thankful for what everyone had to say. And, they get bonuses, AND he may be eligible for a 5% raise. 

We each get paid every other week, and I feel like we always have money. I think about 2008, and losing the house to those ... bastards at that Bank, and how if we had been making the money we make now none of that would have ever happened. We'd have the place paid off. We could have gotten tons of work done. We could have paid for Jess to go to college and stay in college. 

I said this to Doug and he agreed. "I am just as smart now as I was then!" he yelled. "I had so much more energy! Think about what we could have done with this kind of money at 35. Think about it!"

Yeah buddy, I think about it. I think about taking the kids on vacation where we didn't have to roll quarters to put gas in the subaru and pray to God that we made it home with the amount of gas we had. I think about how stressful it was with Jess, and how I wanted to give them the world. Geoff's been easy - in fact my mother in law now has a 529 plan that none of the kids are using because they just don't want to go to college or they're done. Jess can't afford to quit working and go back to school. Geoff goes to / has gone to community college and it is easy for him to pay for and she questions if he's serious when he tells her that tuition is only 1700 bucks. 

Doug pointed out we're going to need as much money as possible when we retire. He's right. We will. 

But it doesn't help me think of how lopsided things are, were, have been. And how life would have been so different, ya know? 

Anyway. 

Doug will be at work tomorrow, Geoff will be at work, I will have the place to myself. Well, Toffee and I will have the place to ourselves. 

Today I cleaned the tables and swept. Not much else because of how busy things were. But I'm making progress on that list. 

More to come tomorrow. And, here's another picture from Sunday. Digits below.


digits 

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps. No exercise today. 5200+steps by bedtime

blood glucose:

8am: 188
5:30pm: 180
9:45pm: 205

food:

coffee/water 
noon: left over mac & cheese with a lot of ground beef from nachos; metformin
2pm: pbj sandwich, 647 bread, low sugar strawbs jam
5:45pm: bowl of chili a la Geoff, sour cream, shredded cheddar (no fritos because Geoff forgot!) 
3 beers
8pm: bowl of pretzels w/portwine cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment