Thursday, October 06, 2022

What's a Delmarva?

Hurricane Ian clobbered the west coast of Florida, and then has made its way up north but ended up doing a many days long sit and spin to the East of us in the Atlantic. 

Now it's up in Nova Scotia, good riddance, jerk. It kept us under a long veil of clouds, drizzle, and occasional downpours as it churned slowly northward. 

The sun came out yesterday in periodic breaks. And it was a little brutal. Sitting here on the couch working I have had to squint, because sunlight

And today was a cloudless, mesmerizingly blue sky day. It felt good, even though my brain still feels like it is in a fog. 

Today I took a break for myself, I went to have lunch with a coworker who lives about 3 miles away. We met at a little coffee shop, had a late lunch, the cafe closed at 3pm so we continued our chat outside. Her boss just changed jobs and she wants her boss' job. And I kind of want her job, only I am unqualified for it. But she said hey - she'll rewrite the job so I'm qualified. And we can take over the world. Mwah ahahahahhahahhahahah. 

We had a great time. We both had to dash afterwards to be back to participate in a webinar that she suddenly found out she was presenting at, oops. And I went to the market. 

I realized when I headed to the market that I didn't have my phone. It wasn't in the restaurant, it wasn't in the car. I actually forgot it, left it by my laptop (thankfully no one needed me and there were no emergencies). I couldn't text Geoff to meet me out front and get him to bring in the groceries while I ran in the house, signed into the webinar, and looked like I was not rushing and 2 minutes late. 

I think that one of the things I actually do miss the most about work is hanging out with people like her. It was nice to walk away from work but still talk about work, and start conspiring for an event for a September 2023 conference that we didn't have time to pull something together for 2022. I love her energy. And 

I squeezed in a quick walk today while dinner was cooking and then my fitbit died. I forgot to charge it. So I'm happy to have gotten a little something out of the sunny day. 

We are allegedly going away for the weekend since it is a holiday. Well, for me. I have Monday off. Doug has to take it off. So we "might" go do something. Doug suggested going to see my friend Rob down near Richmond at the college where he works but Rob told me it is homecoming weekend and we should stay very far away. I asked him if UVA in Charlottesville was doing homecoming and he said yup. Basically any/all schools in Virginia are doing homecoming. 

So I was thinking Berkeley Springs WVA, and Hancock, where we stopped last year. Or Rehoboth, or Ocean City. Doug kind of "meh'd" at them.

He just announced that he wants to go to Chincoteague Island in Virginia. So he booked a hotel, it looks okay, doesn't look like a murder hotel or anything but. It isn't a Marriott. He said he wants to look at damn horses that walk around like they own the place, eat oysters, drink beer, look at more horses, and finally, the sun is shining. 

Also - the last time we were down that way we had a great time. It was pre-covid. You can read it here. We went to Ocean City and then we went north to Rehoboth Beach. Right before we got the Covid. We enjoyed the beach and boardwalk to the fullest with what we felt was a little window of the pandemic lifting and life getting better and more open. So we'll get a different view of the barrier island there. 

I also laugh because it was only recently I figured out what Delmarva meant. 
Delaware, Maryland, Virginia. Del. Mar. Va. Wow. 

This is the trip. It's about 3.5 to 4 hours. We'll leave when we are ready to hit the road on Saturday. Probably, knowing us, noon.



digits

exercise: Dedicated 10+5 got a good quick walk in around the house. First one in five days. 

blood glucose:
9am: 182
5pm: 143 (updated because I checked the meter later and saw that i was wrong)
10:30pm: 187

food
coffee, water, snapple zero sugar ice team with raspberry; wine
10am: 2 good yogurt
12pm: metformin
12:30: apple with pb
2pm: chicken quesadilla
4pm: chocolate cookie 
6pm: nachos. ground beef, spicy seasonings, avocado salsa, chips
6:45: maybe, 8 oreo cookies
7pm: metformin+jardiance

No comments:

Post a Comment