Saturday, October 22, 2022

Touch some grass

It is a very very beautiful day out. We should be outside doing yard work or something, or hanging out at a brewery maybe. 

Doug has been looking for a new job, and for the past couple of years he's been saying he needs to get some certification for blah blah blah I don't know what. Years. 

Well.

None of the jobs he's applying for are getting back to him, and one interview he did have wasn't a good fit. He believes if he has this certification it will make him more attractive to prospective employers. He has no idea why he's not getting any bites. It's been 6 weeks since he started actively looking - and I reminded him that it was an incredibly long time (more than 4 months) before he got an interview for the job he has now. back in 2018, when we were sweating it. We'd used all our money for the move the year before, had to buy 2 new used cars in the span of no time, and we were just kind of coasting along, beating back debt but also having a lot of fun spending money on entertaining ourselves and travel. We weren't planning on needing a stockpile of cash to get through some time.  

So when he got surprisingly laid off, well, we pretty much ran through our savings and ran up our debt again. 

I'm less concerned with that this time, because we have bigger savings, and I make more money  than I ever have in life. So. I think we're good if he should quit or lose the job. He said he's not going to just quit without having something. And this time, it's not like getting laid off as a contractor. Last time he got laid off, they were nice about it and gave him 2 weeks pay, which they didn't have to do for a non-benefitted worker. Now he can walk away with all his paid time off, which is about three months pay in and of itself. 

So in theory, he could just walk away and take his PTO and dedicate  all his time to looking. If it's going to take that amount of time like last time. I'd rather he not, he'd rather he not, but he is for sure not wanting to work at his job anymore. 

 He has an interview Wednesday. 

It is a travel job like one he did between his most recent two jobs for a contract back in 2018. I just looked at his LinkedIn and he doesn't mention it - he really should. It was a good gig but it was a 10 week temporary job. I think that's why he left it off, but. Hmmm.

He really liked doing that job, going to the clinics and doing medical records audits, working with this other guy and flying all over the country. I'm glad he liked it and think he would like doing this job too. This job is with a different company, and is a local gig going to clinics within a 50 mile radius. He said they also have travel contracts. He'll let them know he's interested in that.  

He doesn't need the certification he's going for in order to get that job. But he should have done this a couple years ago, and he's applying his brain to do so now. He's in the guest room with the door closed. He came out to get his wallet so he could pay for the test prep materials, like a class. He took some practice tests without studying and crushed them, so he feels like he could just take the test and not have to pay for these materials, but you can only take it once a year, if you fail you have to wait. So he'd have to wait until January to retake it. 

Better be fully prepared, right? 

It's a beautiful day out. I'm inside with a farting, sleeping, snoring dog. Listening to the dishwasher sing its song. I kind of thought we'd go to the farmers' market and see about some apples. We need a trip to target. I scrubbed the stovetop, put the burner grates into the dishwasher  with a bunch of bowls from last night's dinner prep that didn't fit in on the run before bed. 

I could work on the beer blog again. I updated my About Me page here  on the blog the other day. I tested a new feature on our content management system for work and found all kinds of good things that broke, that I know stations are going to hate.  So that was fun to write up. 

One of the funny things people say on the internet to other people when they feel they should step away from the computer is "why don't you go out and touch some grass." Like, you need a break. Touch something other than your keyboard. So I was thinking maybe I'll go out and touch some grass, or, take a nap. Since all the sounds around me from snoring dog to running dishwasher are so soothing. 

Well, as of this writing at 10:30pm, I didn't get out to touch grass. I took a nap. Geoff and I made dinner. I cleaned the kitchen. I worked on the beer blog and caught up on a lot of posts. Still more to catch up on. But I'm kind of tired. 

Here's a picture that I don't think I posted here just to fill the space. It is full of pretty colors.  

digits

exercise: none except house cleaning...

blood glucose:
10am: 180
5pm: 142
10:30pm: 110 WOOOOOOOOOT

food:
coffee, water
11:30am: bacon and cheese omelet  (3 eggs, 4 pieces of bacon)
12:30: metformin
3:15: 2 good yogurt
5:15pm: wine on ice
6:30pm: cheesesteak filling (steak, cheese, onions, mushroom)
7:15pm: metformin+jardiance
8pm plus: havarti cheese and more wine

4 comments:

  1. Eliz / Rockport11:37 AM

    OMG! Did you figure out what you were doing wrong recently? This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure the 2 weeks where the numbers were super dumb high was cold medicine related. i'm going to ask my doctor about that tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. Eliz / Rockport11:38 AM

    That's amazing!! So no carbs all day, except wine, right? (I need to figure out how to make myself do that...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the carbs I eat are minimal. usually low-carb bread or fajita wrap related. i haven't really had pasta (a wee bit) for a long time, and I haven't had rice really to speak of since april.

      anything that is carby has a fiber balance to it. working hard to also avoid candy. which is easy for me, unless it is peanut butter cups!

      Delete