Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Camp Grandma in Old Folks Land

When the children were weans, we used to need a place for them to spend some time during the summers. During the years of a lot of No Money and No Options. 

My parents always welcomed them. Never a hesitation. On the record, I'm forever thankful for them and their hospitality.

The kids weren't too sold on being here, though. They called it Camp Grandma, even though my dad was here. 

I'm at Camp Grandma. 

They also always referred to this place as Old Folks Land, because you had to be 55 or older to live here. I'm officially and Old Folk I guess. And I could live in Old Folks Land officially. I'd be like, one of the youngest people living here, but as Guster sings "This could all be yours someday."

Watch that video. It is so precious and wonderful.

I was remembering Camp Grandma and Geoff yesterday as I did my dedicated 10. Two times around the circle plus one loop around the house is 10 minutes, and I measure in minutes. Mom told me four times around is one mile. Someone measured it a long time ago so she remembers (so, aka, once around is a quarter mile. Got it). 

Geoff would bring his bike down here to Camp Grandma, and ride it around the circle again and again and again, each day stating he was going to break the record from the day before. My mother said one day he rode 100 plus times. She lost count after 100, and made up a number to satisfy him. 

He said, "I'm not going to try and beat that one tomorrow." 

Between my 10 and 11am meetings, I walked once around the circle quickly to get my hourly steps, before the rains came. It poured for about 3 hours and then the sun was burning through, pushing up the temperature.  

Later in the afternoon, I did twice around the circle and needed 3 more minutes for the 10, so I walked to the end of the road and back to accomplish my goal. Maybe tomorrow it is 3 times around the circle and I'll exceed the 10. Or 4 times. For that mile. 

Maybe not 100 times around. 

Tonight I worked until after 8pm, it was a lot. There was a lot going on. And this is the first day back after 3 days out.

Mom has been eating pretty well and I've been having some fun with her. She only got snippy with me once today, and that was calendar related. 

She keeps a paper calendar, and told me earlier the OT person was coming again tomorrow but it is really Thursday. 

So when PT called and said she wanted to come tomorrow, meaning Wednesday, she was mad. She thought it was both on one day. 

But now she has nothing to be mad over. No two-a-days for her!!  

I can need to Lowes tomorrow to get a mount for the shower head that is at half-height for her. Cause that's what the OT wants her to have. 

Okay lady. 

I wanted to get a decent hot meal into her today, but a hefty filled monster tuna sandwich had to suffice. 

She's all about sandwiches and sweets. 

I whipped up a banana bread this afternoon in between my work chaos, and it came out really nice and moist. She was very happy but only had 1 piece.  

I had to actually buy a loaf pan the other day because honestly.... for all the cooking stuff she has, there is no loaf pan here. Two or three of everything else, but, damn. No loaf pan.

Guaranteed I'll find 4 of them at some point. But for now, yay, we have a loaf pan.

I used a lot more sugar than I usually do when I bake one at home (a full cup instead of a half) and no nuts because of her dentures.  I wished I had one more banana, but, it was still noice.

I asked her if she wanted butter, but she said no she prefers cream cheese. Crud.... we had none. So I'm going to run to the market tomorrow. Which I wanted to do. I feel the deep need for a salad. Deep in my bones. An omelet with spinach and mushrooms and red onion. Yes please, 

Lord Jesus. Give me some veggies.

My mom does not want any veggies. Her friend Donna made a beautiful sauce with zucchini and onion and meat, and put it all over rotini. Mom turned her nose up at it. Linda had a little, and I've had it twice this week even though I'm technically not supposed to. I just hate the idea of throwing away actual food. 

I'll keep eating it until it is gone. Thankfully she put a ton of meat in it so that gives it some protein. I may buy more meat to put in sauce and increase it for a while. And the veggies are divine. 

Ha. I'm getting veggies and you are not.

Digits below, and even though it is late, I'm thinking of a quick once around the circle. Here's the sky in the break of the rain. 

No foliage here to speak of. Doug said the same thing tonight about driving across Pennsylvania, he thought things would be much further on.

Wonder how it will progress over the 2 weeks I'm here? 

digits

exercise 12/12 hours of 250 steps.  Dedicated 10 around the circle. 

blood glucose:

8am: 147
5:45pm: 165
10:45pm: 167

food:

coffee, water
11:30am: a couple spoonfuls of Tuna salad
2pm: a couple more spoonfuls of Tuna salad, metformin
3:05pm: tuna melt, on the higher carb bread because mom doesn't eat the heals of bread and I hate wasting food.
6:30pm: slice of banana bread (I made it for my mom but she was napping, so. I ate it).
7:30pm: metformin+jardiance
8pm: bowl of rotini & sauce a la donna
white wine+cranberry

No comments:

Post a Comment