Friday, October 13, 2023

A Big Day

PT came and brought an arm crutch for mom to test instead of the walker or the cane. She was meh about it, not impressed. So she decided it is time to revisit the cane. She kind of feels like she doesn't need the walker anymore. I'm not sure on that.  

PT took her for a walk to the stop sign and back, they returned much faster than I'd anticipated. So she took a little rest on the porch while waiting for me to get my shit together.

It was lunch time... I cleared a meeting out of the way, and after PT we got into the car, and I drove mom to her favorite place. 

The bartender was so happy to see her. Several of the regulars were there and happy to see her. People came over to hug her and check on how she was feeling. She was kind of in her glory. 

We were there much earlier than her usual time. She told me "eating lunch before 2pm means I may be hungry for dinner." True! She was in the habit of not eating any breakfast at all, eating lunch between 2 and 3, and then not eating dinner. Because she wasn't hungry. Then, she stopped eating her whole lunch and was only taking a couple bites, and sending it back.

Before we headed home, she said that she was swapping meals. "Having a burger for lunch means, I won't be hungry for dinner, but I'll just have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich later in the evening."

Sounds like a plan, mama. She didn't yell at me "if it'll shut you up about me eating" or anything to that extent. 

We got home and she took a giant nap, I continued to work. And then I took a walk in the 5pm hour since I didn't want to be out when it was dark. It gets dark by 6 here. Notably different from home. 

When I got back she was ready to make her own PBJ sandwich. She had an incredibly hard time with the strawberry preserves and kept swearing at them. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHAT THE HELL! 

So I'm like MA! is this a swearable moment? How about "Aw nuts." "Oh beans I made a mess." She told me to shut the fuck up. 

I think she's getting back to normal. As normal as she can be. 

I noticed she was bending over and over and I thought maybe she was going to lose her balance. She stood up straight and noticed that she was further away from the counter than when she started. "How the hell did that happen?" she asked me. I said you were working on balancing I think. So you moved your feet a lot.  

I suggested that while we work on getting her stamina and leg strength back, maybe she can sit at the dining table and make her sandwiches. I suggested instead of holding the bread in her hand, just put it on the plate. Do things a little differently than you used to, and you'll build up the strength on the way. 

She agreed, I made myself a sandwich and we sat at the table together. With no more swearing. 

Proof of life. And digits below. 



digits

exercise 12/12 hours of 250 steps.  Dedicated 10+4

blood glucose:

8am: 146
5:45pm: 150
10:30pm: 231 (noting I forgot to take my dinner time meds until 9pm)

food:

coffee, water
8:30am: 2 eggs scrambled w/spinach, onion, mushrooms, shredded cheese
12:30pm: fried seafood plate w/scallops and haddock; and since Doug wasn't here to save me, I ate the fries
1:30pm: Metformin
3pm: handfuls of mixed nuts
6:15pm: pbj sandwich on keto bread and full sugar preserves (just to finish the jar)
2 beers (ran out of wine!)
7:30pm: another pbj sandwich on keto bread w/sugar free strawberry jam
9pm: Metformin+jardiance (should have taken 2 hours earlier. oops)

No comments:

Post a Comment