Saturday, October 21, 2023

Doctor's Visit

Yesterday I went for a walk and talked to C and had a lovely good long walk (good, long walk for me, 20 min). When I got back my mom was putting on her shoes. 

Me: "Where you going?"
Her: "Out to look for you."
Me: "Why? I just went for a walk. I try to go for a walk every day. You know that."
Her: "You didn't leave a note, or anything."
Me: "Well you were fast asleep and I didn't want to wake you up to just say I was going for a walk. See, I came back. I always come back." 

She wants me to leave notes. Problem is, she won't see them anywhere. She will just get up, walk to the bathroom, notice I'm not here on the bed, and then put her shoes on to go drive around America until what, she won't find me, I'll be back, and then I'll be freaking out cause she left to drive the car and I don't think she's fully ready.

The other day I told her I was going to run some errands (read: buy more wine). I started to back out of the drive and a neighbor came to knock on the back of the car. She wanted to know where I was going. I told you. Errands. Walgreens. Wine. Walmart. Heroin. Everything I need. I told you.

"No you didn't. Be careful. There's a pothole on Tobey Road where it meets Main Street so don't go that way. Drive down...."

Editor's note: The pothole has been fixed. You haven't gone anywhere for three weeks. Thanks for the warning. I still went that way.

She once got in the car and drove around town looking for my sister's car because we took dad out to a bar that she isn't fond of. She thinks the waitresses dress slutty. We were having a great time with dad, feeding the internet jukebox, singing, and making the guys at the other end of the bar cheer when some things came on. "Did you pick this? Fuck yes! I love this song!"

Mom thought we were gone too long so she came looking for us. 

A woman pulled out of a parking lot in a car that looked like Linda's and it had NY Plates. So she followed this woman around until she got on the highway to leave the area. I'm thinking oh my gosh, lady. What are you doing?! 

We may have laughed at her. She was displeased. 

Anyway. Good day today. We went to JC Penney so she could pay her bill in person. She has a life insurance policy through them (I have no idea why but I guess that's what people did back in the day, buy life insurance through retail outfits) and pays the bill in person instead of online or a check in the mail. We had to wait on line but she didn't complain. She did have a hard time getting her check and bill/stub out of her pocket, and started with the Jesus Christ, what the fuck! What the fuck, COME ON! nonsense. Thankfully she got it out of her pocket before we had to get to the counter. The lady behind us was laughing. My face must have been amusing. 

Then, off to the Doctor. Everything is on track. She's gaining weight (I honestly thought she would have been up just another pound or two but ... 'saul good.), The doctor is super pleased with everything, said he does not care if she eats only PBJ sandwiches 6 times a day forever. Just eat. He asked what I'd been cooking for her and told me he's coming over for dinner. 

I thought he was ordering bloodwork but we went to the lab and there was no order, so I'll call Monday to make sure she can get some done. She said it has "been years" since she's had bloodwork done. So. Let's get some bloodwork, shall we?

She complained about her feet, some neuropathy there, and her big toenail on the left clodhopper is kind of funky. He wants her to see a podiatrist for the big toe. He agreed the nail is nasty. He also said to put Vick's VapoRub on it. Believe it or not, that heals toe fungus better than anything you can get on a TV Commercial. Okay then, doc. Will do. 

Oh, and the best part is, the podiatrist is in .... NEW BEDFORD! 

When he told her this, I gasped and she made quite the face. She didn't yell or scream, or say "Jesus Fucking Christ, not NEW BEDFORD!" Thankfully. She said she simply wouldn't go there. I sat and smirked, the doctor seemed surprised and looked directly at me, "Well, this is the best podiatrist in the area, and I love New Bedford. What'd New Bedford every do to you?" Oh no. No don't. Don't go there.

"Please don't ask," I said, "There is no real reason for her hatred of New Bedford." 

I assured her we'd make an appointment where one of us (me or Lin) would be here and would take her. The "I'm not driving to New Bedford" fight is squashed immediately when you say "you won't be driving to New Bedford because you'll be driven to New Bedford." 

I told the doctor I would make the call, and he gave me the number. 

He also commended my sister for the pedicure she gave mom. He smiled and said "that must have been an experience." I nodded and smiled. Oh yes. 

Linz will appreciate that and would tell you, oh yes. Yes it was. 

Took mom to her foodrinkery and her friend Donna met us there. I had time to eat a chicken sandwich and jet back to the computer for a meeting. Wanted to go for a walk but got a couple phone calls and opted to sit here in the bedroom to take them. And then it started to pour out. So there goes that idea.

Proof of mom climbing the weight charts. Way to go Shirl! Eat a cheeseburger!

digits

exercise 12/12 hours of 250 steps.  No dedicated 10.

blood glucose:

8:45am: 151
5:30pm: 204 
10pm: 224

food:

coffee, water
10am: 2 good yogurt
12:30pm: fried chicken sandwich with lettuce, tomato, cheese, mayo; french fries (a few, not a lot) 
1:15pm: Metformin
3pm: oatmeal chocolate chip cookie
5:45pm: mixed nuts
8pm: metformin+jardiance, leftover chicken soup with potatoes, carrots, and 2 large grands biscuits (see the glucose above at 10pm...)

No comments:

Post a Comment