Saturday, October 28, 2023

Clean, Organize, Mend

I put a lot of cleaning and organizing off in life, especially in the basement. Geoff has a tendency to look for things, even if he doesn't know what he's looking for... he's just nosy

When we lived in our brown house, he was young and nosy, and he went to the attic and rifled went through boxes of his & Jess' childhood shit, unpacked them, and left them unpacked. Mice got into the boxes, ate the stuffed animals, pissed and shat all over the baby books. I discovered all of this while I was packing for us to move after losing the house. 

It was August, so hot, so very hot, and I sat on the floor in the very unfinished attic (Doug and I always talked about finishing half of it for storage) and I cried. I held a stuffed Peter Rabbit that was one of Jess' first gifts, and just wept openly over the mouse piss stench and missing face (they ate its FACE). 

Then I threw everything out the attic window to the driveway below, so I could bag it up for the trash. 

Doug is going to Pittsburgh and is looking for 2 different winter jackets he cannot locate. He started in on this last year, when they went to Kentucky on their trip, and was mad about it then but came home and forgot about it. Now he wants the jackets. At least one of them. They are both great Carhartt jackets, one has a hood, one does not. Fleece lined. Made for winters in the north, not for winters here.

We can't find them. Anywhere.

We have this whole room in the basement for storage. It could be its own office, or another bedroom if we needed it. I wanted floor to ceiling shelves put in but we never got to it. The boxes have all been sitting on the floor. 

And of course, at some point Geoff opened things. Doug describes his unpacking skills as "feral raccoon looking for jar of mostly empty peanut butter." 

What is mostly down there is boxes of books. I asked him what was he thinking, and he told me he is sometimes looking for something to read. Everything is labeled, so why'd you open the Winter Camping Boxes. Why'd you open the FRAGILE! GLASS STORAGE Boxes.

Trust me, dude, all the good worth-reading books are on shelves in the basement, or up here in the living room. What's in the boxes is just not interesting but we keep them, for whatever reason. Sentimentality. Maybe we'll have more shelves someday for all the books. But Geoff thinks there may be something in there worth reading. But there isn't. Trust me.

Today I decided to go down to this storage room and rifle through boxes, and see if I can't find Doug's coat/s. 

No luck.

But everything is packed and reorganized, and Geoff has been put on notice not to open a single box.

I also found tons of empty boxes in the room. And in the big area in the basement that is the same size as our living room, there are more boxes (that Geoff went through) and I'm going to pack and reorganize all of that, to put things into the storage room. 

Geoff also noted that due to my reorganizing, there is now enough space in there for him to set up his drum set. 

Well yeah, but. No. He has 2 drum sets, the original one he got one year for Christmas and a second one that a friend of mine was divesting herself of when she and her husband moved into a very small condo. So we have a lot of parts for two kits and I sure don't know what goes together. We have a double bass pedal. We have a brand new seat that I got for him right before we moved to Maryland. His cymbals are trashed from him beating the shit out of them (rockstar that he is). He probably needs some solid wood platform for everything to stand on since the basement is carpeted. 

Hilariously, though, as I reorganized everything - I put the drums all the way in the back corner and built a fortress of boxes of books and glass and winter camping gear all around them. 

Maybe that was some sort of subliminal messaging to myself, bury them and we won't have to think about it. 

We can dig it all out, and get things assembled for him. 

Next big project is the big room. Doug's office technically is down there, and he said it is so messy it depresses him. While he's out of town, I'll go down and take care of getting things more organized. 

He did find a heavy coat that needed a button, and a button down shirt that is burnt orange that he hasn't worn forever because two buttons came off. 

He reminded me I keep offering to fix his things, so he found my sewing kit (which is a mess and needs to be reorganized also) and brought me the two items. I got the buttons mended and so he's good to go with those. The orange shirt is super good for this time of year with all the trees matching him. 

Here is a picture from the sewing session, and one that he took while he was out walking (while I was sewing). Things are very orange today, I guess.


digits 

exercise 12/12 hours of 250 steps. half hour walk

blood glucose:

9am: 180
4:30pm: 175
11pm: 271

food:

coffee, water 
11am: metformin
1:45pm: 647 English Muffin w/pb
4:30: 1 regular sized reese's peanut butter cup
6:30pm: leftover chinese food w/a little white rice; metformin+jardiance
7:30pm: large slice of chocolate cake; white wine

No comments:

Post a Comment