Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Sneaky Pete

Last night I stayed up late answering some helpdesk tickets and had a Slack discussion with one of the clients out west because he couldn't get something to work. He said "oh my god - what time is it where you are?!" and I laughed. Dude we are getting shit done. So proud of you. 

We accomplished our goals, I started looking at some youtube videos and next thing I knew it was almost 1am. Shit. Dagnabbit.

I usually take tylenol PM at bedtime, but passed because of the hour. It won't make me fall asleep any faster but I sleep pretty deeply. I wanted to be sure to hear my mom if she got up to putter about. 

At 5:45am she came down to use the bathroom. She is very quiet and stealthy when she is walking, and if she only pees she doesn't flush, so as not to wake me up. But I heard the bathroom door creak and sat up in bed. When she came out of the bathroom I cleared my throat. 

"Hey Sneaky Pete," I said. Busted not using the walker. But I'll be honest - she's walking fine. She's much stronger, steady on her feet, doing a good job.

I got up to pee myself, and we started the coffee. I got her morning pill that she has to take on an empty stomach and she went to play computer games. 

I waited about 20 minutes, brought her coffee, water, and 2 slices of lemon loaf. Patted her on the head and went back to bed. After a while I just gave up. Could not fall back asleep. Up for the day I guess. 

Not me running on less than 4 hours of total sleep.
Yes me running on less than 4 hours of sleep.

I got dressed and got the car keys. I went to Lowes and Walmart at 8:30 (wow, they both open at 6am so in theory I could have gone earlier). After I got back and got everything put away I dived in to an incredibly busy work day with failures and successes. And some laughs. But mostly me feeling like there are some things people shouldn't be allowed to do, such as manage their own DNS. 

Long story but I spent the afternoon shaking my head.  

Mom had a friend visit for an hour today, which was nice. While she visited with her friend, I made banana pudding for her dessert, and then took a walk. I talked to Linda for like an hour. Met a cat while out for my walk. Enjoyed the neighborhood and people. Like the cat's owner who was a very nice lady. 

She seems in very very good spirits. 

Today she also had a visit from Physical Therapy. The PT took her vitals and we talked about goals. Mom said she didn't have any goals and I said that's not true. You want to go to the market and Walgreens on your own. You want to drive your car. You want to go to your fave restaurant. You want your independence. She shrugged. The PT took her for a walk up to the stop sign and back, using the walker. She said that she can use the cane if she wants. She's strong enough to just stand. She's going to bring her a different style cane on Friday, because she feels the one mom has is too short. It was a good session. Mom seemed fired up and focused on doing some exercise things.

The PT told her no more eating in bed. Eat at the table. 

So tonight when I served dinner, I put it all at the table and told her to come on down for noms. We sat for 45 minutes chatting. She ate 8 tiny cheese raviolis and sauce, and I ate more of the pasta I shouldn't be eating, with a lot of meat added in. 

We talked about Israel and Palestine, we talked about how she thinks my kids are so wonderful. She had bad things to say about her mom. It's the most my mom has talked about anything in a long time.  We talked about how her clothes are all too big, and I offered to go get a couple pairs of pants in small/xsmall for her to try out, I can always return them. I extolled the virtues of yoga pants but she made a face. I said "once you go yoga pants, you'll never go back!" 

She told me that sometimes it is scary getting to the bathroom in time, I told her I have the same experience (and some of you do too!). I asked her if she would want to move down the hall to this room, Dad's room. She made a face and shook her head. 

She said no - that's his room. 

I said no, this is your house. You can do whatever you please here. 

She said it wouldn't work because of how the internet is set up for down at the other end of the house. I told her anything could change. If she was down here, with all her stuff and her computer, she'd be literally right next to the bathroom. No fear of making it on time. 

She's not convinced. 

Pictures below. Cat, especially. His name is Sammy. He's very very nice. His right eye is wonky, his owner said he's very healthy but for that one thing. I want to see Sammy again. Will plan to walk that way again.


And someone in the neighborhood has a sense of humor, I tell you what.

digits

exercise 12/12 hours of 250 steps.  Dedicated 10+ while talking to Linda on the phone. I think it was close to 25 min total. 

blood glucose:

9am: 147
6pm: 115 (checked it 2x to make sure it was true)
10pm: 142

food:

coffee, water
11am: 1 slice of mom's bread (the heel that she hates) with PB and full sugar jelly. Metformin.
between 2pm - 5pm: several handfuls of mixed nuts
7pm: metformin+jardiance; more of the rotini noodles w/lots of sauce and ground beef.
White wine+diet cranberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment