Thursday, October 19, 2023

Fun With Scam Calls

My mom's phone rings morning, noon, and night. She's changed her phone number and the calls stop for a little while but then they come again. Either her doctor's office/medical group/insurance company has been hacked, or Walgreens has, or something. 

Always foreign language dudes, always can't pronounce the our name, always with different spoofed phone numbers from all over the country. Always with bullshit lies about medicare supplement plans, special orthotics, solar panels, medic alert systems. 

Like no, please, stop. Dudes. No. 

My mom can't not answer the phone. Or she can't not at least LOOK to see who is calling. Madison, Wisconsin. Worcester, MA. Bangor, ME. Walgreens Pharmacy on the caller ID, but the number isn't her local number. Her Medical center - but not her doctor's office. 

We've tried to teach her to not answer. That if it is a real call, they will leave a message. 

But the ringing. She can't ignore the ringing. She picks the phone up and looks at it. "Who the hell is calling me from Billings Montana!"

No one, ma. No.One.Is.Calling.You. It is a scam. Ignore it. 

I sometimes wish her hearing was like my mother in law who says "oh I never hear the phone ring. I just look later to see what answering machine messages are there. 10 missed call, 1 legit message." 

A lot of times I just answer the phone. Hello. What do you want "Paul?" No. I am not on Medicare. You have a wrong number. Lose this number. Don't call again. 

Today though, there was a name on the caller ID. I won't put their name here, but, the call went like this: 

Me: "Oh hey girl! Hey [name on the caller ID]!!! I have not heard from you in so long what the fuck is up! Bitch where have you been!"

Them: "Hello?" it is a guy talking so. Yeah.

Me: "Who the hell are you, you ain't my friend [name on the caller ID] what the hell is this? You in her house? You calling me on her phone at her house, what the fuck is wrong with you!"

Them: "uhhhhh" 

Me: torrent of swearing and violent language about how I'm headed over to [name on Caller ID's] house to kick his ass. 

He finally hung up. 

The other day I posted on social media that there is a special place in hell for companies that do this. I'm not mad at the individuals who are just trying to make a living. I said to one guy "your English is so good, you could be a teacher, you could work in tech support. There are so many things you can do with your life. Why do you choose to do this?" 

I swear. Bastards. 

Anyway. 

Mom has a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to taking her. Tonight, I took myself for a pedicure instead of going out to dinner with a friend. Because I just wanted a pedicure. I do not regret the self care. 

digits

exercise 12/12 hours of 250 steps.  dedicated 10 plus another 10 thanks to a phone chat with C!

blood glucose:

9am: 185
5:45pm: 164 
10:45pm: 169

food:

coffee, water
noon: metformin; turkey+hummus sandwich on keto bread
6pm: the rest of the chicken salad over a spinach, red onion, cucumber tomato salad with salad topping (contained dried cranberries; Metformin+Jardiance
7:30pm: 2 chocolate chip cookies

white wine

No comments:

Post a Comment