Thursday, October 05, 2023

For the Love Of God, I Hate You Connecticut

We left at noon. 

We did fabulously until we hit the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut, where Waze told us estimated time in traffic was 37 minutes. Fuck that. We bailed off some exit and I put "Westport" in as a destination, because it was south of us, and on the map. And I figured there would be something there to eat. Doug was getting hangry. It was 7pm. 

7 pm and we had only just gotten into Connecticut. 

We found a cute little Thai restaurant and bailed. We had carbs, but they were delicious and I regret nothing. NOTHING. Shrimp and duck and sauce and pad thai and so much scents of peanut, basil and lemon grass, and a view. 


We relaxed and breathed and spent about 45 minutes here. Through the glass of the window, looking at the tree in the distance you can see a bunch of little white things. Those are birds. Not seagulls, but we think they are herons? One would take off and fly every once in a while. Initially we thought they were maybe Halloween decorations until we saw flight. 

This was wonderfully worth it. By the time we got back on the road, we thought for sure we'd be buzzing through the state but no. It is construction season on 95. Season. Every couple of exits, left 2 lanes closed. Then back to normal, then, again left 2 lanes closed. Oh here, right two lanes. 

We sat and sat and sat. Light was fading, and we were nowhere near New London yet. 

Finally, New London - where Connecticut becomes cool and easy going. But no. More construction. Mystic, Southport, and then the Rhode Island line. 

And then fog. Fog. Rhode Island welcomed us with fucktons of fog. 

I was starting to die, and Doug was driving 90+ 

We finally got to the hotel at 10:30. Linda had gone shopping for us for beer, wine, and snacks (omg thank you). I am on my fourth cup of wine and I am ready for bed. No alarm clock set for tomorrow. We will wake up when we wake up. More wine please. 

Here's a highlight of the trip. Doug followed a Cars Only sign as we approached the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and I almost had a small heart attack as I realized the cars only lane was Northbound on the Southbound span of the bridge. 

If I was driving I'd shit my pants...but Doug was all WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO YEAHHHHHH! As I laughed and quaked. 

And that made it very good. We were still having fun right here, about 2 hours into the trip. 

Fuck you, Connecticut. I will hold this hatred in my heart towards you forever.

digits

exercise 8/12 hours of 250 steps.  Trapped in the car, a lot. not really a dedicated 10 today either.

blood glucose:

9am: 163
xpm: x
11pm: 236 (ooops)

food:

coffee, water
11am: metformin; turkey and swiss on 2 pieces of 647 white
7pm: pad thai with shrimp, and pineapple duck with some white rice; 2 glasses of iced tea; 
7:30pm: metformin+jardiance
11pm: WINE! and cheese and pepperoni (let's see how bad tomorrow's reading is)

No comments:

Post a Comment