Monday, October 16, 2023

Milk

I needed to go get milk, and mom was almost out of her (very specific) bread. I also wanted to do a simple rotisserie chicken and sides for dinner for us tonight (way too many carbs for me but, so delicious). 

Picking up the car keys, I let her know where I was going and what I was getting. The following conversation went pretty much like this.

Her: "You're going to Shaws? to get MILK?" 
Me: "Yes. I always get milk at the grocery store."
Her: "I get milk at Cumberland Farms."
Me: "That's cool, but I'm not going that direction."
Her: "The milk from Cumberland Farms never goes sour."
Me: "The milk at cumbies and Shaws is the same milk. In fact, the milk guy probably drops milk off at cumbies and drives to Shaws, and takes the same milk out of the truck at both locations. It is the same milk."
Her: "No, the milk from Cumberland Farms is better."
Me: "Of course it is." 

Little does she realize, that the last 2 half gallons we've had, well, they were from Walmart. And she hates Walmart. 

My mom is very brand loyal and driven by what she thinks, or actually what she feels, about specific brands. On top of that, she's got ideas about where buying something is better. For instance she needed more coffee beans. She buys coffee beans from Dunkin' Donuts. At the Dunkin' Donuts location. You can get the same thing at Walmart and it is less per pound than buying from the Dunkies. She noticed the packaging was different. 

Her: "Why is the label like this on these two pounds?"
Me: "I don't know. Companies change their branding periodically."
Her: "It doesn't look like this when I buy it at Dunkin' Donuts. You didn't buy this at Dunkin' Donuts, did you?"
Me: "Well played, Shirley Sherlock." 

She wanted to know why I didn't go (out of my way) to Dunkin' Donuts and I told her I don't like the parking lot, and I don't like trying to get out of there and people whip into the lot and I just don't feel safe there. 

I got you coffee beans. 

You got coffee beans, please know, it's the same product different store. 

She gets mouthy, and I get exasperated. 

I threatened to just start shopping at Aldi. For as much as she hates Walmart, boy does she hate Aldi. I have no idea what they ever did to her. 

We had a nice dinner. I wanted to get some carrots and some corn into her to see if it would help with her inability to poop lately. She also hasn't had any cheese on purpose, so she can avoid using the Lactaid. She thinks that is what's constipating her. I'm not sure it is related. 

Her: "I used to poop every damn day the way I was eating and then you and your sister come here and make me eat three meals a day and for chrissakes, I can't poop!"
Me: "Are you in pain?"
Her: "No."

Okay then. 

The occupational therapist was here today and said that 5 days is kind of the limit before you get ahold of the doctor. I called their office today, the receptionist said a nurse would call me before the end of the day. 

Made the mistake of telling my mom this and every half hour, "did they call yet? I haven't heard the phone ring." 

"They may be busy, mom. If we don't hear back, I will call in the morning." 

I'll be calling in the morning. While I put milk from Shaws in my coffee. 

Baked a couple dozen cookies today, that was pretty fun. Picture below, Digits below that.


digits

exercise 12/12 hours of 250 steps. lots and lots of time wandering Shaws. dedicated 10 min. walk at 10pm because the sugar results were stupid high.

blood glucose:

9am: 156
5pm: 167 
10pm: 299 (yikes but. yeah) 

food:

coffee, water
10am: jardiance (*)
11am: leftover salad and tuna fish
noon: metformin
3pm: protein shake
4pm: a couple chocolate chip cookies
7:30pm: chicken dinner w/ stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn (no carrots) a pillsbury grand biscuit,  gravy
2 beers
10:15: protein shake


(*) I've been taking Jardiance at night with metformin. I keep hearing this commercial with a lady enthusiastically singing "I take once daily Jardiance at each day's start!" 

My bottle just says to take once daily. No mention of morning, noon, night, with or without metformin. So I am moving it to morning. I've never been sure of when to take it. Maybe you're supposed to take it with the metformin, and maybe I should move that to lunch time. So I'm experimenting. My doctor's office was not clear on guidance.

After my evening glucose levels, methinks I go back to dinner time Metformin+Jardiance!

No comments:

Post a Comment