Sunday, October 22, 2023

Missing Puzzle Pieces

We ran errands today. First, to Walgreens for a prescription pick up and she asked about a covid booster. They brought her right in, no waiting. Boom. Mehopes she does not have a bad reaction. 

She pushed her own cart. She lifted her own things into the basket. She loaded her stuff into the car, opening and closing the hatchback. She told me it would probably be easier to put things on the back seat and I told her this was a fair thought but it was nice to see her doing this all on her own. 

And I know where I get it from. Mom walked her cart all the way back into the building instead of leaving it on the sidewalk like 3 other people did. And she was quick to point out how shitty that is because the cashier has to run out and get the carts, they don't have a cart kid.  

We went to Shaws but the lines to check out were super long. All we needed was applesauce and spaghetti sauce, so, we left.  I'll go back another time. 

Then, it was time to visit to Auntie Bea. My mom's sister. The fact she actually asked to go visit earlier this week blew my mind. 

We got there at lunch time, so they set us up at a table in the recreation area, and boy was she surprised when she came around the corner. She recognized me immediately and then saw my mom and said "Of COURSE you'd be here too!"


This is a new facility, and she's been there since like April or May. It still smells like new construction. Her room is like a suite, 2 bedrooms (one for her, one for a roommate) and a little living room and bathroom. Her bedroom has a beautiful view of the dumpster, and a lovely river. 

She complained that she was freezing, and said over and over "I'm just so damn tired." 

After she ate a little of her lunch (she didn't like it but she really liked the cranberry juice) we went down to her room. In the little living room area there was a puzzle on the table. We talked about the puzzle. I asked if they wanted to work the puzzle, I could move the chair over to the table. They both said no. 

Then my mom reached over and put a piece in place. Bev pointed to another piece and said she thought it belonged with the other pink flowers. Next thing you know, the puzzle is done and there are two pieces missing. I thought Jeesh, that's kind of mean in a memory care facility to have a puzzle with pieces missing. 

I'm inclined to go buy more 50 piece puzzles, with all the pieces. Bev asked me why on earth there would be a puzzle here that didn't have all its pieces. I said I thought maybe it was donated and the people didn't realize the pieces were missing. She said "well that's crummy." Yeah. That's crummy. 

After a while she looked like she might fall asleep. So we encouraged her to her bed. I think she didn't want to go take a nap because we were visiting and it would be rude. 

On our way out at one of the dining tables there was a white haired old lady in a bright light blue cardigan that was perfectly suited for her coloring. Her left eye looked like she took a good square punch or she wiped out somehow. I didn't ask. 

She said hi to me, my mom was down the corridor on the way to the exit with the staff person who would be letting us out. 

I said hi back, and asked "How are you doing today?" Which occurs to me after I say it maybe is a loaded question for someone in a memory care facility. 

Her answer came with a shrug, "You know, I'm doing the best I can." I told her me too, and I was happy to hear that she was. She reached out to hold my hand and asked me how I was doing. Part of me wanted to say, "Lady,  I just told you basically, me too, I'm doing the best I can." But instead I answered "I'm doing well and so happy to see you today." 

Her smile was infectious, and just pure sweetness and kindness. 

I ended up positioned behind her a little because I was aiming for walking down the hall where my mom and the unit staffer were, but I leaned over and hugged her. I told her to have a great day, I'd see her later. She hugged my arms and thanked me for visiting her. 

Walking down the hall she called out, "I love you!" I called back "Oh, you know I love you too!" 

We got in the car and my mom said "That was a really good visit. I bet she'll be asleep in no time."

"She's probably asleep already, I think."

I kept thinking about the other lady. She probably doesn't remember me, but I am going to remember her.

Here's the sisters working the puzzle. Auntie Bea was cold so I got her a fleecey fleece blankie from her room and she was so happy. This puzzle had pieces that had seen better days, they kept curling up and wouldn't lay flat. Very surprised my mom didn't unleash a torrent of swears at them. And the last one. Hilarious. Mom shaking her fist like someone's gonna get a big fat knuckle sandwich because two pieces are missing, goddamnit! Digits below!


digits

exercise 11/12 hours of 250 steps.  Missed 6pm cause I was cleaning up something I dropped. Dedicated 10+5

blood glucose:

10am: 214
5:30pm: 194
11pm: 165

food:

coffee, water
10:30am: protein shake; some slices of turkey to finish the container
1:30pm: Metformin
3:30pm: buffalo chicken strips+small side salad; 3 beers
6pm: Metformin+jardiance
8pm: some chili mac: donna made chili w/ground beef, sausage, and beans. I put it on top of some of the left over pasta & sauce from the other night. Not a lot, just to have some dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment