Saturday, October 14, 2023

Canal

My friend Angela came to visit me today, we had a nice 4 hours together. Mom was good on her own, and made her own PBJ sandwich without making a mess.

Angela and I drove over to the canal where Doug and I used to take dad for walks. The forecast was for crappy weather but the day turned out to be spectacularly perfect. We enjoyed about a mile and a half walk, sat on a bench, met dogs, and I offered to take a picture of a new mom and dad and their twin snuggle babies, which was my good deed for the month. 

We had a nice lunch at Marc Anthony's in Onset, the place is all decked out for spooky season. They have extraordinary pizza there, so I did get one slice that I should not have had, and a nice salad with steak tips. 

When I asked my mom if she wanted something for dinner she said "I'm not hungry," per usual. Well, I'm going to ask you again at 7pm. 

I made myself the last of donna's pasta with some left over hamburger and sauce. And at 7 she came to the kitchen where I was reading, and I told her to have a seat - eat some lemon loaf. 

She and I sat and talked about family stuff and history. Things I already knew. But she wanted to tell stories. She went back down the hall after about 40 minutes and by 8:30 her light was out and she was ready for sleep. She'll wake up between 4 and 6 am. The past couple of nights, or mornings, she's been tremendously quiet. This morning I woke up at 9:45 and had no idea how I managed to sleep that late. She got up, made the coffee, took her meds, went to the bathroom, all without me hearing. Ole sneaky Pete there. 

"Did you have breakfast?" I asked her. No. she didn't. So I whipped her up a bagel. "You could make your own brekkie you know," I told her. "There's banana bread, and bagels, and lemon loaf, you totally could do that. 

"I wasn't hungry yet." 

One of my big fears is when Lin and I are not here, she won't eat. Even if it is something as simple as a slice of lemon loaf the "I'm not hungry" thing will take over. We'll have to call her at 8am, 1pm, 6pm and ask "What did you eat? Did you eat? Why didn't you eat?"

She's doing exceptionally well not because she wants to, but because we're here to encourage. She also, I think, is lonely. So being here and encouraging her to come to the kitchen, and eat. She's doing that. We need a plan for a week from tomorrow, I think. 

Anyway. Today was a lovely day all around. I like lovely days. Here are some pictures. 

Me and Angela, a really sweet doggo that made me think of C, and breaking out of pizza jail!!!! 




digits

exercise 11/12 hours of 250 steps. Missed the 3pm hour because Angela and I were chatting. We also had a very nice long walk at the canal. 20 or more minutes

blood glucose:

10am: 177
5pm: 221 (seems a little high...??) 
11pm: 164 

food:

coffee, water
11am: metformin
2pm: 1 slice pepperoni pizza, salad w/ steak tips, bleu cheese
6pm: the last of the pasta w/meat sauce
7pm: metformin+jardiance
through the evening: mixed nuts and white wine

No comments:

Post a Comment