Monday, November 27, 2023

Beer Steins, Reorder, and Driving Test

There's a beer hall in DC that is shutting down, and they are auctioning all of their gear and equipment, including all the tchotchkes on the walls and shelves. Someone posted a picture, and I thought to myself jeesh the beer steins look familiar.  


I am literally sitting right here, staring at them. These came from Avon back in the day, and my dad has (had) several of them, which now grace the shelf in his bedroom (former, you know). 

A quick google search says these are worth about 20-25 bucks each maybe. 

They've never held beer, which is sad. When you think about it. 

Beer steins should hold beer. 

I like how they're stamped with an official collector's number at the bottom and stuff. So fancy, so official. 

If memory serves, they contained a bottle of cologne maybe. I can't recall. Any 70s/80s kids remember the dads having these? Let me know! 

I'm not planning on selling them or anything. I just thought it was hilarious that this DC out-of-business bar has them on the shelf and you can buy the whole collection of stuff they have (steins and other stuff). 

Verizon came this morning and fixed the phone. 

I have to stop and think hard about what I say to repair people. I want to feel a fellowship, a kinship, like hey, I fix shit for a living too. I see you. I respect you.

Sometimes I mention that I do tech support for a job, so I love to triage problems and then get tortured by the customer service people at the other end for 2 hours only to be told yup, you're right. But I don't want to overstep, I want them to be at peace to do their thing. I told the repair guy I did all the troubleshooting on this issue and he knew exactly where to go look. Turns out there were a couple wires along the bottom of the trailer and one of them was cut. Sheered off. My mom actually knew about this, and her neighbor did it once when he was weed whacking along the exterior. 

Lady. You knew he whacked your wires? And never got service done to this? Oh lady, this is on you. 

My mom used to work for the telephone company as an operator way way back in the day, and so when her phone is out she is constantly yelling about the "reorder" tone. The fast busy signal. You've probably not heard it for years, but if you're of a certain age, you know it. When the phone goes out, it would either be dead-dead and nothing. Or a fast busy signal, or a fast busy signal and a whole lot of static, or dead and static. 

So she'd start yelling about the "reorder" signal. I'm like lady - I'm not sure anyone knows what that is and I only know because you know and you've told me what it is. 

The guy was here working, bless his heart, soul, head etc, and I kept telling her it's going to take time. He has to do many things. Please do not harass the person with updates about what you're hearing on the phone. 

But, she did. 

He was in the kitchen with me, testing some things, and she comes down with the phone in hand and says "It says Line In Use but no one is on the phone." So he very kindly tells her "yes, that's part of what I'm doing." Then a little while later she got the dreaded Reorder noise, and came to tell him about it. "I'm just getting the Reorder signal."

Dude just looks at her and says "I'm not sure what that means, ma'am." 

So she gestures at him with the handset and says "Reorder! The fast busy signal!" and he says "oh yeah, that. Okay that's because I just replaced the line and I have to go outside and connect it, and I have to drive up the road from here, and go to the big box, and reconnect your line."

I'm like oh shit lady will you just leave this poor precious helpful soul alone. She then goes on and on explaining how she worked for the phone company and "no one knows what a reorder signal is anymore, I guess." 

I said "that's cause you're using 1950s phone terminology in this the year of our lord 2023." 

He apologized to me after she walked back down the hall. And I was like "for what?!" 

"I get the feeling your mom wants this to go faster," he says. 

Of course she does. She always does. She's so impatient. I told him it was no big thing, you do your job, your thing, if it takes all day she can just chillax. He had to turn all the services off: TV; phone; internet. So I wasn't doing any work, hard to do work on my phone when I can't access the helpdesk through it. 

I told him again to take his time, really, it's okay. 

So he gets the phone ironed out, the new battery backup system installed, which you have to turn on in a power outage and it uses 9 D cel batteries, but it doesn't drain your power uninterruptably all day every day, so Verizon made some changes. It is tiny compared to the one that was there, for sure an upgrade. Life is good. No more phone outages when it rains.

I have a lot to talk about that happened today. We ran errands. I got my own bank card for her bank account. Her bank balance was an hysterical number that means very little to anyone outside of fans of My Brother, My Brother, and Me so I won't post it. If you want to know leave a comment. I did send it to Jess and they texted back, "Nice."

On the way back from errands, I had her drive back from the mailboxes. She was very pleased. I told HER which directions to turn and where to go for a change. hahahhahahahaaa! 

I wanted her to drive around the whole neighborhood and she got super pissed at me. "I don't FEEL LIKE driving around the neighborhood!"

Lady, this is your Road Test and you don't want me to fail you. Go straight, turn right. Do it. 

I had dinner with my friend Alex in New Bedford (the one city someone hates!) and we had a lovely, lovely time. I'm glad he asked me, and I'm glad I didn't beg off and skip. It was nice to go out.

I didn't get a lot of steps in today, took today as mostly a movement loss. And a bad choice of foods but. Some days be like that, friends. Some days be like that. 

Digits below the smiling old lady. 

digits 

exercise9/12 hours of 250 steps.  No dedicated 10. about 4k by publish time, super low activity for today!

blood glucose:

8:45am: 153
5pm: 240
10:15pm: 145

food:

coffee, water
10:30am: Metformin. Cranberry Orange Nut Muffin w/butter
4:30pm: turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy
6:30pm: clam chowder, 3 nice pieces of sushi, buffalo chicken caesar salad, 2 beers
8pm: Metformin+jardiance

No comments:

Post a Comment