Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Latke Clan

Happiness is remembering your metro card and ID badge before you leave the house. Sadness is realizing you do not have a phone cord or laptop charger to sustain you later in the day. And that you forgot your lunchtime medication, so you can't take that, and keep on your routine. 

I thought I had planned my day out well last night but obviously failed at it. I'll survive though, it isn't like I am on a 23 day trip to Australia and New Zealand and forgot the important things. I'm just going to be slightly off kilter today for meds. 4pm and 10pm instead of noon and 6. 

Well, the reason for needing my metro card was to go to the office. Some of you know where I work, or have guessed. I refer to the people I work with/for as my "clients,"  and at my office, we have some music that happens, in person, and it is kind of a big deal. 

Our musical guests today was a band for Hanukkah, and one of the dudes in the band is in Guster. And the other dude is in a hockey-themed band that I love very much called the Zambonis. And together with some wonderful bandmates, they make the LeeVees

Had to come in and see them live, right? 

We're allowed to bring a guest to most of these, unless it is someone hugely famous. Linda would have been my +1 for this, but she has an audit at work this week. My friend Sara was not feeling well, so, I brought this random dude Mike from Baltimore. Mike had commented on a post that Dave LeeVee put on social media and Dave said to check in with me. I felt a little weird, this is a guy I do not know at all. But ... he wants to come, took a day off of work, and drove down to attend. 

I think I made his life. 


He got a nametag from security and I told him he needed to save it forever. He said that he saves all of his ticket stubs, and this goes into the collection. 

We had a ton of fun, he got to my office just in time for us to check out the sound check, and we grabbed lunch and had a great discussion. He is a financial planner, and a lawyer, and we talked about my mom and life. He said that his grandparents went through a hugely complicated situation and it changed the trajectory of his life. He immediately got into financial planning, and elder care advice. So the randomness of him being someone that just happened to reach out to Dave, and Dave pointed him at me, it was, as they say, Kismet. 

We went back up for the performance. It was outstanding and fun. They put out a huge spread of Hanukkah related stuff like latkes and kugel, Bob Boilen made Bagels (they're so good, and salty!) and it was just a delightful time.  

Here's me and Bob during sound check, with the band behind us. 


For years and years I'd hoped that Bob would bring Guster in for a tiny desk, but ... that never came to be. Bob has retired, so, I'm working on the new guard. I'd love to manifest that up to the universe - please God. Let's get the boys in here! 

It was so fun to talk to Adam and Dave, and I'm hoping, just hoping we can impress the Tiny Desk staff to bring in Guster. Some day. Some one of these fine days. 

But having Adam get a moment at the desk, well, I hope he loved the hell out of it. 

Digits below.

digits 

exercise 12/12 hours of 250 steps.  20 min walk from the train, lots of 10 min walks around the office. over 11k steps today

blood glucose:

8am: 163
5pm: 221 
10:30pm: 210

food:

coffee, water
10am: 4 pieces of bacon, 2 sausage patties (thankful for the cafe in my office building!) 
12noon: chicken in dijon mustard sauce w/green beans
2pm: a latke w/sour cream and applesauce (note: I passed on the kugel and the bagels) 
5pm: Metformin
6:30pm: big salad w/ steak & bleu cheese; white wine
7pm: 2 big slices of pumpkin pie w/whipped cream
10pm: Metformin+Jardiance

No comments:

Post a Comment