Friday, November 10, 2023

It's Just Overkill

I keep experiencing the inability to sleep, either I don't fall asleep for hours after going to bed, or I fall asleep for 90 minutes, wake up, and then I'm awake for hours. 

Last night it was the former. Doug and I went to bed, he put on a podcast that most of the time knocks me the hell out, but it was interesting and I found myself focusing on the interview. It is a podcast about history mostly, where the host Eric Rivenes interviews book authors about their books.  The episode was about a murder on Mackinac Island in 1960, and the search for the killer. 

Doug fell asleep almost immediately, without his CPAP on, and started snoring. He has the podcast app set to turn off at the end of the episode. So I laid there in the dark, thinking about how wild it would be to be a "local" year round resident on a vacation destination island, wondering if one of the regulars still on the island was a murderer or if it was a crime of opportunity for a tourist to kill another tourist. 

At about 1am, I took my phone into the guest room and put on another podcast, Grim & Mild Presents, as I'm a total Aaron Mahnke fangirl. While Doug was out of town, I started this at the beginning again (note the again) and listened to the Sideshow season. I had recently gotten to the Pirates (season 2). I once again was too interested in what was going on. Learned a lot about the real Captain Morgan. 

And it was 3am. Before I knew it.  I turned the podcast off, and started thinking about Men At Work and "Overkill," and of course, that gave me an earworm. 



Over and over again.  Day after day it reappears [soprano sax notes...]

And then I started thinking about songs that are basically ruined by saxophone solos. So many songs murdered by saxophones in the 80s. And this one actually has a really really beautiful guitar solo. And in my head I'm hearing it, thinking about how ...

the alarm went off at 8:15. I reset it for 9:30. I knew no one on my team would be missing me. I was actually getting a little sleep. It felt good. I immediately fell back, and hit snooze twice. Alright. Get up. Scrum is at 10. Do your 9am steps. Okay. Get coffee. Oh scrum is virtual and you have no updates for the team, dang you could have slept. Okay. Drink coffee. Start work. 

It was a low-key day. I got a bunch of things done, and around 5pm I was just marching through tickets that needed to be resolved because the problem was fixed. 

Today it was a rotten rainy day so I didn't go for a walk at all outside. I suppose after several straight days of doing more than the usual steps I deserve a day of less. Digits below. 





digits 

exercise 11/12 hours of 250 steps.  Missed 2pm because i was hyperfocused on a helpdesk ticket. doh. about 4000 steps today.

blood glucose:

10am: 179
4:30pm: 191 
10pm: 198

food:

coffee, water
11:30am: 3 spoonfuls of Mac&cheese+ground beef; the rest of the tuna from the other day; metformin
1:30: turkey sandwich w/3 slices of sharp cheddar on the super nutty carb filled bread (yum) 
6:30pm: nachos, ground beef on tostitos w/melted cheese, avocado, sour cream. Metformin+jardiance
2 beers

No comments:

Post a Comment