Saturday, November 25, 2023

Just Wait Until You Get Old

This morning, we were sitting in the kitchen and my mom could feel a draft. She was looking at the windows to make sure they were all closed and I pointed out the two windows in dad's room, where I've been sleeping, that are open. It's about 10 degrees cooler in there, thanks to open windows and it being in the 30s last night. 

She has the heat on at 73, and the hot air blowing through this joint is too damn much. I put a towel over the heat register that is UNDER the bed, right under my damn head, and the one under the television, to try and cut down on the heat in this room but it doesn't help. 

So the windows are open. 

The porch window's openness is negligible towards attempts to cool the room off - there's no breeze coming through unless the porch windows are open, which they are not. The windows to the left and right of the bed may bring cool air into the room but when I'm in bed - I cannot feel it. I'm still hot. I haven't slept with sheets or blankets on me, they're all folded off to the other side of the bed. 

Last night was the first night since I've been here that I lowered the window to a crack because it was cold enough to feel the air chilling. Lowered that window and actually put a sheet on - which I tossed off at some point because yeah - I was hot again. 

Mom basically told me I'm nuts, but really no. She's nuts. 

Today was a super busy day. Jess came over and we continued leaf work. Having a second human was key, I never would have gotten done all that needed if it had been just me. We made up parody song lyrics to Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car," and filled 7 bags with leaves while laughing our asses off. 

(read/sing inTracy Chapman voice)
I remember when we're raking
Raking in the yard
Leaves en masse
Wished I was drunk
All the leaves laid out before us
And there's so much pain in my back and shoulders
And IIIIIIIIIeyyyayyyy.... 

Here's me looking like, I don't know, some sort of weirdo getting ready to nobly cram 110 pounds of leaves into a 40 pound bag. Seven times.

Mom's neighbor said he'd take the bags away for us, I didn't anticipate he'd bring the 7 bags back empty but they are now by the cars in the yard. I thought he'd deposit them, bags and all, in the dumping place. 

Oh well. Interesting. Now we have bags, I guess.

We went out to lunch with my mom. Jess and I then dropped her back here and went to play Pokemon until it got dark and we stopped at the brewery. We had a super fun time and the head brewer was there, and I found out he's a Frank Turner fan, so he asked what my favorite album was and he cranked it up for us to all listen to. 

Jess wanted to take me out for birthday dinner, even though it was a week late, so we went to an asian restaurant and had soup, I had favorite appetizers, Jess had sushi. And then she told the waitress it was my birthday, so she brought over fried ice cream, and then she asked me to make a wish, which I'm doing in the picture below. 

Not sure I remember what I wished for but probably that my blood sugar would not be 400. It's not. It wasn't that high. Still higher than I like though. But all told, it was a fantastic, busy, fun day. I couldn't wish for a more fun time. 

Jess had me drop them off at the hotel and we sat in the parking lot talking forever, I left at 9:45 and my mom called me wondering where I was. "I was worried about you..."

Sorry, dude, I was just sitting in the car with my kid talking about dogs and stuff. Like you do.

Digits below. 

digits 

exercise10/12 hours of 250 steps.  Missed 5 and 7 by a couple steps, just wasn't paying attention. 7100+ steps by bed time. No dedicated 10 but 2 solid hours of yard work. 

blood glucose:

10am: 183
4pm: 210
9:45pm: 230

food:

coffee, water
noon: metformin
2pm: fried chicken sandwich, onion rings, vodka cranberry (not low-carb cran) 
5pm: beer at lucky goat
7pm: miso soup, gyoza, crab rangoons, Sapporo beer
8pm: metformin+jardiance; ice cream split with Jess 

No comments:

Post a Comment