Sunday, November 26, 2023

Who gets to come back

There was some interesting medical drama here in Old Folks Land this morning. 

A man who lives 2 or 3 houses down from my mom was found by his wife, unconscious but still breathing. The ambulance, fire trucks, police all came. A neighbor called my mom to tell her, because everything was blocking us from being able to pull the cars out, if we wanted to pull the cars out. We didn't, and we're patient, so I watched as the ambulance pulled away with this man. 

I think he was out yesterday raking. His wife was out sweeping later on when we came back from eating at the foodrinkery. My mom says she sweeps everything. The street, the grass, the walk way, their porch. 

It reminded me of these pictures you'd see of really old Soviet era women trying to clean up when everything was always just so dirty. Only here, it's mostly pine needles and oak leaves. 

My mom said she doesn't think the guy is coming back. I said okay Doctor Shirley, let's see what happens. She said no, in all seriousness, he's unwell and has been for quite a time. She thinks this is the end. 

I wondered how she would have felt about people in the neighborhood talking about her or my dad when they'd be carted off in the amblumps (that's a linda thing. Hi linda, if you're reading). I didn't think it was appropriate to speculate. You never know who is coming back, who is not, and I'm sure everyone thought my dad would come back. Even I did. And there, you know that did not happen. 

His wife, though... I hope she's got someone with her today. I wonder if someone took her to the hospital. I thought about offering but, I don't know her and that's a little weird. My mom said they are not super popular here, they've gotten into fights with neighbors and my mom once yelled at him to go fuck himself and mind his business. 

Kind of funny for someone so Nebby that she can't wait to tell people the haps. Nebby Debby over here.  

I only really know mom's direct neighbors on either side, and the woman down the block and her husband who have both been very helpful to my mom even before dad passed. I don't think she's much older than I am to be honest. The age to live here is 55 and up, so the older ones are moving along and the younger ones come take their place.  

So, send Judy and Donald some love right now across the universe. I think they can use it.

Jess checked out of the hotel at 11, and I picked them up. We came back here to hang out with my mom and I made omelets for us. I haven't cooked for myself since being here the way I did last time when I was far more diligent at making sure I ate right. I've been neglectful of me. It was nice to sit and have a meal with Jess. Mom told me she needed strawberry preserves, and I'd noticed she needed toilet paper, and more of her favorite bottled water, so we figured a jaunt to the market was in the cards. 

I even thought maybe we'd go over to the eastern part of town to the disco car wash, get mom's car scrubbed and vacuumed, but, meh, no. I bought Armor All wipes at the market, and mom has really nice window cleaner, so we spent a little time sprucing up the inside of her little Honda. Now I sadly want to go do the vacuum thing. It is supposed to start raining, so paying for a car wash is so stupid if it is going to rain. We'll hold. 

There are errands to run tomorrow and Tuesday. Propane got delivered the other day and she wants to pay it in person. She also needs to let them know my dad passed since the account is in his name. She needs cigarettes, so I'll take her for a trip and she can buy those herself. Verizon is coming hopefully between 10am and noon, finally remembered to make an effort to call them to ask for a technician so yay. We don't have to wait. I need to take her to the bank so she can withdraw some cash, and move it into her other bank. She's always afraid that she won't have money in one of the accounts, so she just keeps them kind of equally balanced. Thankfully they are next door to each other. 

I can skip my 1pm meeting tomorrow, which will give me time to go out and about with her. Tuesday I'm taking most of the afternoon off, since she is having a hair appointment, and I'm going to have a friend come down and meet me for lunch while she's getting her doo did. 

Jess took a nap before heading home. I miss them already. I would like for them to stay, or maybe live/be closer. On paper it is 90 minutes. But what a schlep. We'll see them soon. Not sure when, but. Soon.

Right now for me the return home is either Wednesday or Friday. I'm kind of leaning at Friday, to be honest. I think Doug thinks I'm coming home Wednesday so, I'll have to make a decision. 

There are still chores and things I'd like to do before I go. I've done a lot, but ... a lot is left undone. 

We'll see what I can fit in.

No pictures today, I was just too damn busy!







digits 

exercise12/12 hours of 250 steps.   No dedicated 10 but lots of getting steps in. 7100 steps by publish

blood glucose:

9am: 178
5pm: 122
10pm: 183

food:

coffee, water
11:30am: 2 egg omelet w/ mushrooms and spinach, cheddar cheese 2 tiny sausage patties
12:30pm: Metformin
3pm: 3 hard seltzers from canada (from Jess)
5:30pm: tuna casserole with peas
6pm: metformin+jardiance
9pm: cheese squares; beer

No comments:

Post a Comment