Tuesday, May 16, 2023

First Generation but not really

Linda just left and I already miss her. We had a lot of fun this visit. 

I took today off because I thought she was leaving tomorrow. She has a work thing that cropped up late last week that she needs to be in early for. I was trying to convince her to just stay here one more night, play phone games, eat take out food, and day drink. But that didn't work. 

"You can stay here, and get up at 6am and drive straight to the office! C'mon."

She wasn't buying it. Sadly.

I'm looking forward to seeing her in August. 

I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself today because I am not giving back my day off. I thought about it, but no. I did read my email, and answered a couple of quick questions. But didn't spend a lot of time letting work take up space in my brain. I just know what I'm being prepared for. 

Maybe I can take my own advice, just sit here, play phone games, eat take out food, and day drink. 

I kind of want to go to the store and get more plants for this long rectangle planter I have. Pansies or impatiens maybe. 

The plants in the little pots on the table are not doing well, I think they are designed for ground cover, not pots. I may find a new happy place to replant them. I also want to get a big ass watering can because our hose is just monstrously powerful, and keeps clobbering the fragile herbs. 

There is also the pile of awesome crafty things I have for bracelets and I can get started with that. Hmmmm! 

I had ordered red mardi gras beads from some outfit on Amazon and the order was "returned" due to "inability to deliver," which is crap because I ordered 100 other things in the past week and nothing was unable to be delivered. Whatever. 

I ended up going onto Oriental Trading (every Sunday school and elementary school teacher's go-to for fun inexpensive supplies) and ordered red metallic beads from there instead. They should arrive this weekend. I can get started on my lobster hole-punching, see how that goes. If it is a no-go, well, plan b is to tie little strings to the bottom of the lobsters and then attach the hoops to the strings. I'm hoping the hole punching is a success.

Of course, I'll keep you updated.

I have a funny addendum to yesterday's post. 

When Geoff picked up his graduation regalia, they asked him "Are you a first generation graduate?" And he said yes. 

So they handed him a First Generation white stole. 

He thought they meant "from this institution," not, "from college in general." 

To the school's credit, not assuming a white male would of course be part of an academic lineage that included multiple graduates is a credit to them. But also, phrasing is sometimes confusing for the boy. 

I'm first generation, neither of my parents went to college, neither of their parents... etc. On Doug's side, his grandfather went to college on the GI bill after WWII, Doug's mom and dad both went to college, and Doug went to college (that's where we met!). So Geoff is fourth generation, not first.  

I think he realized during the ceremony that this was a bit of a misunderstanding and he took the stole off. He explained this to us when I asked him where the stole went. 

A lovely, misunderstanding and one we can giggle about. 

I also sat here last night thinking about this victory. I took his photo and emailed it to his academic counselor, the one person at the last school who I felt had a good head AND a good heart and was very understanding with Geoff. Like, a real guidance counselor. I wanted him to see how far Geoff had come since October 2021, when the school broke his heart. Look. 

This smile could have been yours. And you can tell his academic program head that. If you want. I don't want to stir the pot, basically, but I do want someone at your institution to know this. 

My friend Sara works with a lot of the colleges in the system, and she was so incredibly upset by how all this went down, and she wasn't in a position to intervene, but, wanted to. To say how thrilled and overjoyed she was to see Geoff's pictures, well. 

Digits below. 


digits:

exercise: 11/12 hours of 250 steps. I have no idea how i missed 2pm?

blood glucose:

9am: 198
4:30pm: 166
10:15pm: 160

food:

coffee, water, iced coffee
11:45: mixed chinese food plate; shrimp curry; chicken fingers, garlic pork;
12:30: metformin
4:30: tex mex trail mix
6:30pm: metformin+jardiance
7pm: 2 chicken cutlet "cluck pucks" topped with american cheese, on top of a scoop of potato salad and tomato cubes
wine

No comments:

Post a Comment