Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Potato Salad

Before my sister arrived, we went grocery shopping and I had suggested to Geoff to get potatoes for hash browns for brekkie. 

We never used them.

This nice bag of yellow spuds has been sitting in the pantry for a couple weeks. I figured ... even though carbs, we should use. 

Geoff made a great marinade for flank steak (this seems to be his new hobby?) and I decided to make potato salad. Mashed would have been nice too, and I could have used the marinade left over after the meat went on the grill to make a gravy (yes, you can. you heat it up enough that it's not going to give you food poisoning. Trust me, I've made some mad ass good crazy gravy off of some of his marinades!)

I had an idea of yes, potato salad, but also yes eggs, yes bacon. Geoff peeled 6 potatoes, I diced them into reasonable size and boiled them, checking them every 3 minutes to make sure they didn't overcook and become mashed potato candidates.  I boiled 6 eggs, 2 for the meal and 4 for Doug and Geoff to just eat whenever they wanted. I cooked up 12 pieces of bacon in the oven, nice and crispy. 

Peeling the eggs and dicing them was the biggest of the hassles, but we got through it. The bacon I cut into pieces with my scissors. 

Mayo, mustard, a dash of red wine vinegar, a spoon of splenda, salt, pepper, garlic powder, diced red onion (very tiny). Mixed that all up together and combined with the taters, eggs, and bacon. 

Best part was stepping out onto the back deck, cutting a bunch of parsley off my plant and a bunch of dill. I diced that up super small with some green onions that were in the fridge and got it all combined. Covered with a gentle sprinkle of paprika. To be served at room temperature, according to the recipe. 

I thought maybe I should make a warm bacon dressing or something, for salad, but meh. This was good.

And no I did not take a picture of it all. Sadly! I totally should have because it was beautiful.

To be honest, it was as tasty as it was beautiful. I'll make that again! Well. I shouldn't but. I will. 

Oh - and Geoff's marinade this time was outstanding. The recipe book called it a North African marinade, and he bought a giant flank steak for it. He went out to start the grill and I was still working. I heard a FOOMB sound, and him yell FUCK! 

So I went out to see what happened. 

Our grill has been coming on super hard lately and I do not know why. Today, it came on the hardest. Geoff said a fireball shot out of the top of it, and singed his arm.

"You.... had the lid open?" I asked

"Yeah," said he.

"Well, maybe never do that part again, but let's talk to your dad about this. Just. Always keep the top closed when starting the grill. 

The one picture I did take today is his right arm, singed hair scene! My camera wouldn't focus well on it, again, same issue as with the Guster show the other night but you can see the little stubbies of hair that look like he shaved over the weekend and now they are growing back in combined with the hair that wasn't singed off elsewhere on his arm. 

I'm glad he was not seriously hurt. Very glad!

Digits below. 


digits:

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps.  Dedicated 10 pokemon walk.

blood glucose:

8:45am: 186
5:00pm: 156
10:30pm: 211 (thanks potato salad!)

food:

coffee, water; iced coffee
11:15 small ramekin mac&cheese and bacon
11:30: Metformin
1pm: bowl of chicken salad (chicken, cream cheese, mayo, grapes)
2pm: another bowl of chicken salad before putting it all away
6:30pm: Metformin+jardiance
7:15pm: flank steak marinade, too much potato salad (but it was good)

No comments:

Post a Comment