Monday, May 29, 2023

Rainout and Return

Gotta say I'm super glad that we got some fun things done things on Saturday and Sunday because today is just a very very wet and rainy holiday Monday. 

I'm thinking of all the people who were probably at a beach vacation for Memorial day who packed it all in early to go home. 

On the way home from Front Royal last night, we discussed going into DC for the memorial day parade. Sounded like a good idea and all. At about noon, were too busy playing games on our phones and listening to Spotify through the TV and said a collective "meh." 

Glad we pulled a Meh because it really opened up at 2pm here. 

Our big task for the day was a trip to the market. 

We have needed dishwasher tabs for a couple days, and we don't really have a good spot to put hand washed dishes up to dry, so our sink and our dishwasher are full. Last night on the way home I pointed out to Doug that we should stop at Target and get some and he said "meh."

This would probably drive some people crazy, to have a lot of dishes in the sink, and it does drive me crazy a little because I don't like going to bed with dishes in the sink. But it doesn't make me super crazy. Just a little. So today it was a must do. 

The other thing I wanted that we didn't get to this weekend was to go get some other plants. We have a couple that were in pots and they didn't do well so they're done. I wanted some pansies or something since they do well in the pots. And I have a nice long rectangle planter that I wanted to fill up and put on the patio table. 

Maybe next weekend. 

Speaking of next weekend, it's the anniversary weekend. Our anniversary is during the week this year and we both dragged our feet on asking for the week off. I am short 3 coworkers next week, so there was no way I could take the whole week off too. Maybe Friday? But. Not sure. And I took time off for when Jess comes to visit two weeks from now, so that's more important. Usually we'd be on a trip right now but we didn't plan anything. 

We also decided that we kind of don't love the brand new bed we bought. 

I mean. 

It's okay. But it doesn't measure a full queen size, it's like 4 inches too narrow which is so weird. We keep kicking each other during the night. I had said to Doug when he was bed shopping that I kind of wanted a king size bed, especially when Phineas is in bed with us, it is a little crowded. 

I also was having a super hard time with the bed sheets that came with the bed. They were too big for the mattress, queen bed sheets that were too big for the bed. Which says something about the size of the mattress. The fitted sheet kept popping off during the night. I'd wake up with my corner over my shoulder, and I'd try to put it back in the dark, and my hand doesn't straighten out, so securing the fitted corner never really happened. I'd get mad, and I'd go to the guest room, using Phineas as my excuse that I didn't want to wake Doug up trying to put him back up in bed while he was sleeping but really, it was me being mad at the bed. 

What the hell, bed? Why do't your bed sheets FIT you. I washed them in super hot water to try and shrink them and it didn't help. 

The other day I put the old bed sheets on the bed, and they fit perfectly. Oh, so it is the sheets, not the bed. Okay. 

Since then, I've been more comfortable and less furious at the bed. And it was kind of starting to grow on me. A little. 

But mentioning it to Doug he agreed. We're going to trade it in.

 I was also reluctant to upgrade, even though it'll be nice, because what if a king bed does not fit in our next living space? I thought about the bedroom in our las house and said, wow. That master bedroom would not hold a king bed. This room will, easily. But. When we move? Whenever that is? Oh man what if it does not fit. Doug said we can worry about that later, because we are not planning to move anywhere just yet, our lease is until February 2025 and it could be extended even then. 

He went ahead and reached out to the company to make the exchange/upgrade. Memorial day sale we get a savings on the king bed. And with the queen-ish bed, you get up to 100 days to return the bed. 

I feel weird and guilty returning the bed for some reason. 

People do stuff like this all the time, right? And I feel like well, maybe we didn't give it a chance? Should we wait another couple weeks? Would I get used to it then? I'm almost getting used to it what with sheets that fit right.  

Like I feel like the bed will take it personally, I'm hurting its feelings. Or the company will be mad at us. 

Doug said "life is too short, let's get the king bed and be happy. We should be happy." 

So I think that is our anniversary gift to ourselves. A new bed in April. And a bed upgrade in May. 

Technically June, because the bed will arrive next weekend. 

The weekend that we would maybe go away if we were to go away. 

In the meantime, the progress I made in the bedroom kind of ground to a halt due to Doug's disinterest in managing his stuff. He was waiting for a rainy weekend (ahem. Hello? today?) and so I am going to make some more progress on some stuff on my side of the room to maybe peer pressure him into doing his stuff. Especially because a king bed is 16 inches wider than what we have. 

It's a split king, so we can sit up/raise a side, read, whatever. They had all kinds of pimped out bedframes with LED lighting and USB ports, fans underneath, weirdness. Too not my style to be honest, I just wanted a lower platform so my dog could jump into bed easily and safely. No two zone heating/cooling, nothing fancy. I didn't even really want the split mattress but Doug thought it was a good idea for him with his snoring. 

Life's too short, be happy, get a bed that if one of you wants to sit up a bit, y'all can do it, right? 








digits:

exercise: 11/12 hours of 250 steps.  Slept in this morning, missed the 9am steps. No dedicated 10. Pouring rain.

blood glucose:

10:30am: 193
5:30pm: 185
10:30pm: 175

food:

coffee, water
noon: metformin
3pm: some pork rinds (not a lot, just to get rid of the bag from yesterday)
4:30pm: cheese slices and a couple crackers
6pm: small bowl of spaghetti (I only ate 1/2) with store bought meatballs and vodka sauce, one slice of garlic bread 
7:30pm: metformin+jardiance


No comments:

Post a Comment