Thursday, May 11, 2023

An Interstitial Plant Post

After I got back from the dentist yesterday, Doug called at about 6 to say he was stuck in traffic and wouldn't be home until about 7. I asked him to swing by the market to get buns for bratwurst, maybe some potato salad or something. I'd grill if he shopped.

I decided to use the waiting time to doctor up some snake plants.

A year ago I split up a snake plant into two pots. This year, I've been struggling with gnats on all of the plants, and I think the culprit was the soil and the snakes. I bought little bug traps to stick in each of the plants and to be honest, the snakes were always full of bugs! 

I took the two pots outside to fully clear out all the potted soil, rinse the plants fully, put new soil in the pots after washing them down with soapy spray, and hoping for the best. 

Enjoy some photos of my process. Two became Three!

Here they are before I started the process.
I should have taken a picture of the bug catchers from these plants. They were impressive!


After taking the snake plant out of the pot, I washed it thoroughly in a bucket, cleaned the pot, and got the plant sprayed down. 


The second pot was amazing. Look at the ROOTS on this guy! 
I've never seen such bright roots all wrapped around the inside of the pot.
I ended up splitting some of this one off for a new pot!
And I am not sure if I need deeper pots for how tall some of these are, but, now I have three wonderful pots for the snake plants. I also have another pot inside the house of some that broke off a year ago, and one leaf/snake that I planted that I'm waiting to see if it "pups." 

I am going to end up with five snake plant containers!


No comments:

Post a Comment