Wednesday, June 21, 2023

He's got the gout

For the past couple of weeks Geoff has been having a hard time walking. Sometimes with his his right foot being the problem, sometimes his left foot, can't put pressure down on the foot, hopping around, miserable. He finally went to the doctor. Finally. 

Dude, I'm paying for you to have health insurance, just go to the doctor. 

After X-rays and blood work, turns out all signs point to gout. 

My 26 yr old son has the blood disease of royalty in the middle ages. 

The doctor gave him some pain pills, some guidelines for diet, encouraged him to drink a LOT more water (I felt like he drinks plenty already, he sure drinks more than I do...) 

One of the big things he told him to drop was beer.

Oh man. 

So my craft beer lovin' child isn't supposed to drink beer. I'd encouraged him to drink less this year. Certainly. During his time off of school Geoff will drink a goodly amount of beers while watching TV at night, after doing yard work. But it isn't like drink to get drunk beer drinking. It's an expensive habit, I must say. Craft beer isn't cheap. And we mostly pay for it. There would be days we'd buy beer, and I'm drinking a LOT less of it, and I'd go to have one, just one, and it'd all be gone. 

Lifestyle changes are hard, so he's scaled back on beer and increased his water. He's had a couple of really good days recently, so he's feeling well enough to go to the gym today. And is drinking a lot more water. And his doctor prescribed him a pain pill that he can take when his foot really hurts. 

It's hard, I think about all the food I just want to stick in my face, all the beer I don't drink, knowing the work-arounds for things (bread w/high fiber = lower net carbs, lots of protein if I'm going to have something sweet-ish) And the only thing we can do is encourage each other. So I know he's trying hard to not be doing things that can end up with him triggered in pain at 3am with little sharp horrible crystals in his foot stabbing the fuck out of him. 

He's went to the gym today for the first time in weeks because he felt confident he coult walk the treadmill (not run) and do an arm day (no pressure on the foot). He mowed the lawn on Sunday and ended up in a lot of pain later. Doug said it was because he let himself get dehydrated. Geoff said he drank enough water. Prehydrate, hydrate, rehydrate. They actually had a fight about water.  When he got home, he drank 2 pint glasses of water and took another downstairs.

I'm hoping he can get this under control without medication and just diet changes. Doug said his doctor is not going to prescribe anything until he sees he's making good lifestyle choices and the situation doesn't improve... But to be honest, it's all stuff I've been asking him to do anyway so the universe is just helping out my cause. Thanks universe. 

This all said, here I am trying to eat well and hell if there aren't Oreos in the house. Damn you, oreos!


Digits below. No picture, sorry!





digits:

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps.  No dedicated 10. it's been pouring all day.

blood glucose:

9am: 163
4pm: 138
10pm: 178

food:

coffee, water
11:15am: 2 egg omelet w/ wilted greens, shredded cheddar, 3 sausage links
noon: metformin
4pm: mcintosh apple w/peanut butter
6:30pm: metformin+Jardiance
7:15pm: 1 piece of French bread pizza w/meatballs & mushrooms
several meatballs while putting dinner away
8:45pm: 5 oreo cookies. wine




No comments:

Post a Comment